Any sushi fans here?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rob Babcock

Head Chef
If so, what are your favorite types? Do prefer nigiri to nori-maki or like both equally? What do you like for fillings? Do you like your fish raw or steer clear of raw in favor of cooked ones? Do you eat sashimi? Just curious.

t_smi.gif

I love sushi, but have a bad throat and gag reflex so there are only a few kinds I can eat. I love dynamite and california rolls, and tuna and salmon maki. I mainly go for a vegetarian combo at our favourite sushi place with avacado, asparagus and cucumber rolls and an order of tempura.

LOVE it!!!!!!!!! Addicted, I think. LP, see if they can cut the rolls into smaller rounds. Most places will do it. I know those big pieces can be hard for some people to eat. I had to talk a friend through chewing a piece - she was about to hurl and I literally had to whisper in her ear telling her to breath, go slowly, it will be gone soon..........whew! It was close too! :LOL:

My favorite maki rolls involve raw fish. Tuna and salmon are my favorite along with snapper and white tuna. Eel is good too. When we make it at home my favorite roll is a bit of cream cheese, cucumber, salmon, tuna, and fresh cilantro. HEAVEN!

Love flying fish row in them or masago. I had some wasabi masago here at the house...it was pretty good. Not really hot, but had a flavor of wasabi.

I want some now...thanks!

I love sushi, but have a bad throat and gag reflex so there are only a few kinds I can eat. I love dynamite and california rolls, and tuna and salmon maki. I mainly go for a vegetarian combo at our favourite sushi place with avacado, asparagus and cucumber rolls and an order of tempura.

Smaller rolls or little nigiri might work. And it might be gauche, but when no one is looking you could cut the peices in half!:ROFLMAO: Just don't let anyone catch you!;)

I don't care for much in the sushi line. My son's boss does what he calls a catepillar roll. It's a California roll with sliced avacado layered on top. It is really good and I could eat my fill of them.

I am addicted to sushi. I prefer nigiri over maki, but love both (love sashimi too). I much prefer raw over cooked, but I love cooked too. If I had to pick a last meal it would be sushi.

I don't care for much in the sushi line. My son's boss does what he calls a catepillar roll. It's a California roll with sliced avacado layered on top. It is really good and I could eat my fill of them.

Oh, I love the caterpillar roll. We had it when we did a girl's night out for my best friend's birthday! That one I can eat!

Do you guys (and gals) like making sushi at home? I haven't been doing it for all that long but find it to be a lot of fun. It's cool experimenting with various fillings and toppings.

I used to love making it at home. I now know it's just about as expensive to make at home AND you then have to clean up! :LOL: Sometimes we'll still make it but of course, the rolls are very basic. I can get tuna, salmon, and eel. That's about it. I like fresh cilantro, cucumber, masago, flying fish roe, eel, and have even done cream cheese and strawberries in one. It wasn't bad or I was really hungry one! :ermm:

I made it at home once and had a lot of fun doing it, but I do not have easy access to sushi quality fish and since that is what I really want then it is not worth it to me to make at home.

We made it often in the school restaurant. I haven't tried it at home yet but probably will some day. DH loves sushi so I am sure I will get to it sooner or later.

I made it at home once and had a lot of fun doing it, but I do not have easy access to sushi quality fish and since that is what I really want then it is not worth it to me to make at home.

Can you at least get Ahi tuna? Any salmon that has been previously frozen will also work. The key is to make sure the fish HAS been previously frozen.

From there you just need to make the sushi rice, get some cucumbers, cream cheese if you like it, even carrots, avocados and like I said, I'm a fresh cilantro fan! At an Asian market you will probably be able to find frozen eel.

I actually do have a good fish monger very close to my house who I trust very much, but their hours make it very difficult for me to get there before they close. My local super market got rid of their fish counter and replaced it with plastic wrapper fish on Styrofoam trays. Needless to say, I do not buy fish there anymore.

I actually do have a good fish monger very close to my house who I trust very much, but their hours make it very difficult for me to get there before they close. My local super market got rid of their fish counter and replaced it with plastic wrapper fish on Styrofoam trays. Needless to say, I do not buy fish there anymore.

ICK! A grocery store I USED to go to did the very same thing. Needless to say I don't even think they sell more than a few shrimp and some kind of "fish" anymore.

I love sushi.

Put me down for uni (sea urchin); any fish egg, esp ikura; squid (love the mouth feel); yellow tail; tai....

Sushi is really easy to make at home but I think you need a lot of mouthes to feed to make it worth while. Have you ever tried CHIRASHI sushi? It's like of like a bowl of rice with the sea weed, egg, and fish chopped up and sprinkled on top. Much, much easier.
:mrgreen:

I have had Chirashi many times, but it has never been chopped. It has been a bowl of sushi rice with sashimi on top. I love getting that actually.

I do sushi at home pretty frequently. No chance of sushi grade fish around here, in the middle of Missouri, so everything is cooked. (I was amazed to find nori and sushi rice at the WalMart!)

I like to use that phony Krab stuff, smoked salmon, shrimp, shredded carrots, cucumber, asparagus--not all at the same time, of course.

If I go out, I like smoked eel, but I have only had raw fish once. I didn't care for the texture, but I would try again. I don't like avocado in sushi rolls because of the texture, either.

Both husband & I LOVE sushi (both nigiri & maki) & sashimi, & enjoy it frequently.

With the maki I prefer fairly basic, straightforward presentations like tuna, spicy tuna, eel, etc., rather than the kooky "specialty" rolls. With nigiri & sashimi, while I'll try anything once, I've found that I really don't care for raw shrimp (saltwater or freshwater) or raw squid.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom