I Need Real Dishes & Flatware

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Erinny

Senior Cook
With J and K here, one of the first things they noticed was that I have plenty of dishes and flatware but nothing really matches. I have bits and pieces of sets of dishes and flatware but I don't even have enough matching for a service for four.
I'm getting a little money back on taxes and I was wondering if you folks have any suggestions on what is fairly durable maybe with some bold colors. I don't want anything modern-looking because I like antique-looking things.
For flatware I know of Oneida and I think I found a pretty pattern called "True Rose" at Wal-Mart but other ideas on what would fit in with the old-timey look of my kitchen would be great. I won't have a gob of money to spend probably about $100 - $150 on dishes, $100 or so on flatware. I'm good on glasses because my parents gave me a huge set 2 Christmases ago and I haven't managed to break any of those yet.
Any help would be appreciated and thanks!

I'm really bad about whacking my dishes on the faucet, against each other, etc., but I don't like plastic plates, so I always use Corelle. They have a lot of different patterns, including some bright ones. However, I don't think they have anything antique looking.

:)Barbara

Actually they do have an "antiquee" looking pattern, We have it; it's called, whoops! All it says on the back is "no stovetop or broiler". Sorry. It's a light pastel floral on white with a very lightly scalloped edge. Not much help, I know, but it's something.

I was thinking of stoneware and I forgot about Corelle. Thank you I'll look that up. That stuff is real hard to break I have heard.

When it does break it shatters, but it really does stand up to a lot. I think the only time I have had a plate break was when it got knocked on the floor and James accidentally stepped full on it.

:)Barbara

I have the old pattern corelle called Spring Blossom or Crazy Dazy.

I bought my first pieces when they were new and have added to my collection over the years via thrift shops and garage sales.

You have lots of option. Gibson makes some pretty decent sets for 4. You could get a basic white set and supplement it with patterned bread plates or salad plate and soup bowls, or the opposite. JP Penny carries Fiestaware. You could get some different colors buyint it in open-stock and mix and match. Watch for sales though as it is a bit pricey. I have several sets but I seem to end up doing the mix-and-match because I think it is less formal.

If you have a Goodwill near you, you may way want to look there. I got a place setting for four not long ago for $10.00. They had lots of really nice sets. Happy shopping!

Back
Top Bottom