Why seed tomatoes?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Argamemnon

Senior Cook
I hardly ever remove the seeds of tomatoes. I would only do it, if I were to stuff tomatoes or something like that. But other than that why would you remove the seeds?

It gets rid of a lot of excess liquid. Certain dishes do much better without the extra liquid.

Not much taste to the seeds and the gel they hang out in.

The easiest way to get rid of the seeds is to cut the tomato in half along its equator and squeeze a half over the sink or a bowl while using a sharp downward motion (almost like you are throwing the tomato into the sink but don't let go).

I ordered some seedless tomato seeds from Burpee a few weeks ago. Planted them under grow lights, and they are doing fine. Will let everyone know how they turned out. Before anyone says anything, yes, they are seeds from seedless tomatoes. The picture shows the prettiest tomatoes, all meat and no seeds. I guess it is like seedless watermelons, they do have a few seeds.

The seeds can be annoying, plus some people (like my mom) claim that they upset their stomaches. Not sure if that is really so, though.

I've heard people say that the seeds can get bitter on cooking; I generally don't bother to remove them, especially for cooked dishes. If I'm serving them raw, as in a fresh salsa, I'll do what Andy M. says--the old throw it in the sink w/o letting go. It works well :)

I have also heard they are more acidic than the rest of the tomato so in canning they are sometime removed. I don't however.
Most of the vitamin C in a tomato is in the jell that surrounds the seeds. So, for fiber, and vitamins, I leave them in. ~Bliss

Back
Top Bottom