Rival Fondue Pot & that horrid break-away cord!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JoMama

Senior Cook
RIVAL FONDUE POT:
img_786607_0_12af1ec6d7607dbcd34a83ba79546d2b.jpg

Above is the Rival fondue pot ... the one with that annoying magnetic break-away cord that is always breaking away every time you look away.

ANYONE ELSE EXPERIENCE THIS SAME FRUSTRATING THING ?

I found a way to undermind this horrid appliance! Flip it over ... where the cord plugs in are two screws ... unscrew them ... there is a silver tone little metal plate that keeps standard fondue pot cords from fitting in ... REMOVE IT ... then screw the screws back in.

I then ordered two West Bend Sensa-Temp Heat Controls (WB9) from a souce on eBay. This replacement cord is the same wattage as the Rival ... so it is compatable.

I tested this earlier this morning - having both Rival and West Bend fondue pots. It works.

WEST BEND FONDUE POT:
img_786607_1_19df6ca6e6b83d9d81134dee8c872b7e.jpg

Now I'm a happier fondue-er!

:chef: JoMama

The magnetic break away cord is for safety. I have one of those on my deep fryer, but don't have a problem with it falling off.

I've had fondue pots since the mid-70s and have never had a safety issue with any of the 'old' style power cords for the fondue pots ... just keep an eye on the pot I guess ... besides ... with my luck & one of those safe fondue pots, I'd probably knock it over trying to keep that darn magnetic safety cord attached ... rotflmbo!

:chef: JoMama

If the cord gives you so much trouble maybe you should switch to the kind that has a flame underneath instead. Those are more fun anyway. There is something much more romantic about a flame then a cord :LOL:

Frankly, while it might work for you, I'd NEVER tamper with switching around electrical components for an appliance. Good luck with what you've done, but what you suggest is definitely not something I'd do or suggest for anyone else from a safety viewpoint.

Points well taken! I promise to be careful!!!

But I have one of 'those' husbands ... you know 'The Tool Man' ... who always wants to take 'something' and modify it ... I could see a flame fondue pot at my home regress to this ...

img_786655_0_9bfa7911e40788093fd5ae85ca67c74c.jpg

ROTFLMBO!

I make fondue a couple of times a year for my grandkids, and always worry about cords strung around the table, excited kids, and hot oil together. I solved the problem by dropping the cords down the center split and squeezing them tight enough that they would not pull the pots off the table.

I make fondue a couple of times a year for my grandkids, and always worry about cords strung around the table, excited kids, and hot oil together. I solved the problem by dropping the cords down the center split and squeezing them tight enough that they would not pull the pots off the table.

A true reflection of true genius!

I've used duct tape a time or two ... but your idea is the best!

img_786778_0_c473d8776a0d1b667d0647d5d3dd0cfb.gif

Frankly, while it might work for you, I'd NEVER tamper with switching around electrical components for an appliance. Good luck with what you've done, but what you suggest is definitely not something I'd do or suggest for anyone else from a safety viewpoint.
I agree. I've never had an issue. Once the pot is in place, I don't move it so no issues at all. I love my Rival (and my GE fryer with the same type of cord). Suggesting people tamper with an appliance is playing with fire, probably literally.

I agree. I've never had an issue. Once the pot is in place, I don't move it so no issues at all. I love my Rival (and my GE fryer with the same type of cord). Suggesting people tamper with an appliance is playing with fire, probably literally.
I absolutely agree. I would never attempt to reengineer an electrical appliance. Just too dangerous

Back
Top Bottom