Can I use beef rib bones to make beef stock?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

callie

Head Chef
I'm becoming much more thrifty...we smoked some beef ribs on Sunday and I kept all the bones. Can I make beef stock from them? How? Should I break the bones?

Thanks in advance. :)

Sure and the smoking should provide a nice flavoring. Break the bones if want more of the bone marrow exposed but they are not that long and exposed on each end so its not really necessary. Add the same vegetables for any other stock and let it all simmer forever and a day.

Thank you so much mcnerd! the cookbook i checked only talked about veal bones...i just needed some advice from friends. :)

I boil beef bones for stock in the pressure cooker. Makes the bones soft. The soft but solid remains get ground into a mix for dog biscuits.

Absolutely, I always "recycle" beef rib bones. I don't have a great saw, so don't break them up, but the the more you can break them up, the more good protein/gelatin you'll get from them. I'd also roast some carrots, onions, a head of garlic, and celery with a drizzle of olive oil and toss them in as well. Makes for a very nice, rich stock especially good for onion soup.

Once they're soft, I break them up and grind them in the meat grinder attachment for my mixer. Put the bones and broth in the mixer bowl with brewers' yeast, flax meal, garlic powder, a little mint, raw egg for binder, and rice flour (you can also use wheat flour or oatmeal...avoid corn meal, it gives a lot of dogs "hot spots", dry, itchy patches). You can add peanut butter if you like. Same kinds of stuff no matter what the bones came from. Mix it with the mixer, and put it back through the grinder with the large sausage tube on. Extrude the paste onto a baking sheet, cut into lengths according to dog size, and back in a slow oven, maybe 300 d. until hard. Sadie gets them about the size of my thumb. I have an old metal-body grinder attachment for my Hobart mixer, but if the bones are soft, a plastic body grinder should be OK. A hand-crank grinder works just fine, too.

Thanks for the recipe site and all the tips. I ended up with some great beef stock :chef:

I use bones from any meat dish and create broth. Boil in water for a few hours and you can't go wrong. Any additional spices flavours only make it better.
PS Callie, this is more than being thrifty, it just makes better broth.

Back
Top Bottom