A quick "Hello!"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Katie H

Site Moderator
Staff member
I live in the Heartland of the United States
Hi all,

Made my way to Paducah today. Everything's such a mess, I cried all the way. It looks like a war zone as far as the eye can see. Complete devastation. Not a tree has been untouched.

Power is still out for many and probably won't be restored for 2 to 5 weeks. One small jurisdiction lost 1,500 power poles. In our little town, power poles are stacked in piles like so many toothpicks.

The National Guard was deployed and FEMA arrived on Monday. We also have the Salvation Army and Red Cross in town. 95 of Kentucky's 120 counties have been declared disaster areas. Our western area was the hardest hit.

I'm drained physically and emotionally and have no clue when things will get back to any semblance of normal. We finally had mail service yesterday. The children won't be going back to school for at least another week. No power to the schools yet.

I still have no phone or Internet at home and my cell only works intermittently, plus I have to save my minutes. My phone line is in a heap in the middle of the driveway.

Sunny but cold, cold, cold here today. They tell us it's going to be near 60F on Saturday/Sunday...but with possible rain.

Thanks to everyone for their thoughts and prayers. Please keep them coming as I have much, much more ahead to deal with. Don't know when I'll be back.

I'm tired.

Hi Katie!!!! I got your message this morning - I left my phone in the car...sorry! It was so good to hear your voice this morning!

Oh, Katie, I wish I could be there to help, even though I am not sure what I could do. I am so glad you were able to get word to us. We were so worried. Prayers will keep coming. And take Uncle Bob's advice.

Bless you Katie! So many have been non stop worrying about you and sending out constant prayers! You are one tough cookie! Keep staying strong and warm!!
Prayers will NOT stop!!!
{{{{prayers and hugs!!}}}}

Lots of prayers have been winging their way to you, Sweetie. We are all in your corner.

If you could climb on a bus out of there, I'd be glad to have you stay with me for a while until things improve down there.

Sending you big hugs. :kiss:

Glad to hear you are alright Katie. Saw there was lots of snow on top of it all yesterday.

Still haven't heard anything from DH's uncle there, but usually when things like this happen with him its no news is good news..... I hope that's true this time.

Katie,
the main thing is you aren't hurt...We've all been so worried about you..It wonderful to hear your writing:LOL: I'm so sory about all the damage to you car and home, but Katie those ae things,You are another story my friend..If there is anything you need or I can do call me. Know your loved Katie and missed
cj

oh Katie, it is so good to see your voice.....thanks for the update on the devastation, it is hard for us to imagine....I heard on my local news that since this part of Ohio has most of its power restored, today a convoy of electrical trucks left for Paducah....good, warm and restful prayers and thoughts are yours..

Oh Katie, what a mess! I'm so sorry you have to deal with this on your own...sounds like everyone will have plenty to do in the weeks ahead. I'm glad there are agencies there to help - saw the Kentucky National Guard on CNN International, going from house to house - looks like they were doing good work. Oh gosh, I wish I could be there to help you! Maybe some of your kids could come and help?? You are never far from my thoughts...

I bet it felt good to be out and about even as you cried at the devastation. I'm glad you're okay. We'll continue to pray for God's grace to pour over you as you begin the recovery phase of this storm. Love, Jean Ann

Back
Top Bottom