A quick "Hello!"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Oh Katie, I am so glad you are OK. The things can be fixed, the power will get restored. The main thing is you are OK. What a terrible storm. We have all been wondering about you and worrying. I'm glad you took the time to get online and say hello.

I'm sending you positive vibes - maybe with a streak of good weather the power companies can get the power on faster.

stay strong Katie

((HUGS))

Jennifer

Aww Katie, I'm so happy you're okay!! "Things" can be fixed. Come in when you're able and until it all back to normal, you will stay in my thoughts and prayers!! love you lady!!

Keep warm Katie and come back as soon as you can. We also wish we could help, but even though we can't physically help out, we will continue to pray for you and for all those affected by this horrible mess. We miss you Katie!

BTW, does anyone know if anyone else at DC might be affected?

:huh:Barbara

If Kentucky wasn't so far away I'd invite Katie to come stay here. I have the room and the cats ~ Katie, how are your cats ~ and would love the company. She could see Buck's spice racks being put to good use.

Post when you can Katie. We sure do miss you.

Katie glad your OK everything that is broken can be fixed the main thing is your not hurt. I'll be think about you. Lots of Love headed your way

If Kentucky wasn't so far away I'd invite Katie to come stay here. I have the room and the cats ~ Katie, how are your cats ~ and would love the company. She could see Buck's spice racks being put to good use.

Post when you can Katie. We sure do miss you.

We tried to get her to come here...we're about 45 minutes away...but she has her animals and lots of insurance matters to tend to, and she's getting by. I even offered to send Kim down there, but she says she's OK.
I sure wish I could somehow make things easier for her.

Update!

I think we may be crawling out from under the weather monster. Although, Wednesday was a bit challenging. Heavy rains and winds about 60+ mph from Tuesday night through the day. More power lines down. (We were without power…again…for several hours.) I heard smashing glass around 2 p.m. at the house. Turned out that a storm window had been ripped off one of the upstairs bathroom windows. More trees/limbs down. Yesterday, again, power outages and then no phone service (to those who had it) of any kind most of the day.

I have local phone service at the shop, but I still don’t have phone or Internet service at home and am told it could be days or even weeks, so I’m relying on my friends here at the insurance office for the use of their “electrons.” I’ll owe them big time.

On Saturday, a group of LDS (Mormons) came to help clean up my yard. They came in 8 passenger cars and a 14-person van. In all there were 27 people here and they worked for 6 hours straight. When they were done, there were 5 piles of debris the size of Greyhound buses. It boggles the mind. The yard looks much, much better. On Sunday, a relief group from Tennessee came to take down the trees that were huge, broken and dangerous. There were 12 people in that bunch and they were here for about 4 hours. I have very few trees left. Spring is going to be VERY interesting and I can’t imagine what kind of fall we’ll have.

Got the damage to my car repaired on Wednesday - $1,600-worth. Am waiting for the word from the insurance company for the damage to the house...3 areas.

I'm physically and emotionally drained. I'll be SOOOOO glad when all this is over.

Gotta run. Don't want to wear out my welcome here at the insurance office. Hope you all have a loving and fun Valentine’s Day tomorrow.

Katie

oh, my dear Katie, I haven't been on for awhile as I've been seeing drs. and getting ready to go back to the frozen steppes, of KZ....... I read thru most of this thread and my heart just ached hearing about your ordeal.........I hope and pray that you get things in order as soon as possible........it will really all work out........we still have people in Texas trying to get thru hurricane Ike and their lives are still topsy-turvy even today.........please hang in there, Girl.........and know that we're all here for you

Katie - thanks for the update, I have been worrying about you. Stay strong girl, this too shall pass.

Oh Katie, it is so generous of you to take the time to let us know how you are doing. You are so brave. I am touched by all the help you are getting; I'm sure you are, too. You are in my thoughts often.

I have very few trees left. Spring is going to be VERY interesting and I can’t imagine what kind of fall we’ll have.

On the bright side - maybe now that your yard won't be so shaded, you can have a veggie garden :) (hope that sounds as funny to you as it does to me)

I'm glad to hear you're okay and getting things under control. Take care, Katie.

I'm at my brother's place. He finally has power and Internet service, so I'm using his electrons this morning. I'm still not sure when I'll get phone and/or Internet. They're through the same provider, so when I get one I'll get the other.

I'm going to the shop after I leave here. Have to call the insurance company, again. Only have local phone service there, but the insurance company, thankfully, has an 800 number.

I surveyed my yard/house over the weekend to see what damage the wind storm on Wednesday did. More than I'd initially thought. Two storm windows were torn off the house, the screens on the sleeping porch were blown in and a brick chimney off one part of the house had its top "remodeled." In addition to those damages, about 2/3 of the shingles are gone from the roof. The yard is littered with shingles. New storm. New claim. New $500 deductible. Oh, crap and a half.

I'm physically and emotionally tired. I'm going to get out of Dodge on Wednesday and make my usual trip to Paducah. I might buy a big bottle of bourbon while I'm there.

Better run for now. Don't want to wear out my welcome. I may have to be back to use my brother's Internet service again soon.

Thanks, everyone, for your love and support.

I am glad to hear you are OK, Katie.

The good weather will be her before too long and you'll be able to put everything back together.

Good to hear from you Katie!!! I'd get two bottles if I were you. Gosh, that's a lot of damage, we only lost 4 shingles, but the roof is due for new shingles anyway.

We are seriously looking into buying a generator. We are almost 60 and have resisted buying one so far, but the weather patterns are so volatile these past few years that we may buy one.

I hope you get power restored soon and help to clean up the house and yard.

Good to hear from you Katie!!! I'd get two bottles if I were you. Gosh, that's a lot of damage, we only lost 4 shingles, but the roof is due for new shingles anyway.

We are seriously looking into buying a generator. We are almost 60 and have resisted buying one so far, but the weather patterns are so volatile these past few years that we may buy one.

I hope you get power restored soon and help to clean up the house and yard.
I ordered ours online and the delivery company set it up in garage and everything.........

my son's family didn't get to use it until Ike came thru and my son kept kissing my "toes".....people were without power for weeks.........though no ac they had power for just about everything else including running the computer.......order in the off-season........it'll be cheaper.........

Hi dear Katie - it is so good to hear from you and see that your strong spirit is still shining. Absolutely, get yourself a good bottle of bourbon. I'd take Uncle Bob's recommendation...get some rest and be persistent with the insurance company. What a huge job!

Glad that you had a lot of help, Katie,................that had to have been heartlifting.........some people here in Houston were recently devastated by Ike were helped by the Amish..........amazing caring...............

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom