Rice Wine Vinegar - Seasoned vs Regular

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Callisto in NC

Washing Up
What is the difference? I've got some garlic beginning to pickle in just regular Rice Wine Vinegar. Is there a distinct difference with the seasoned? I've never bought the seasoned before. The regular is very mild.

"Seasoned" rice vinegar is sweetened rice vinegar. The difference is sugar, and "seasoned" rv will make your garlic cloves like candy! Crisp. crunchy garlic candy...yum! One of my clients, John Iwata, the premier landscape gardener of Ojai, gave me some sweet garlic pickles about ten years ago, and I've been making them ever since. His wife, Sally, and I swap recipes (and kimchi) occasionally.

Okay, since pickling takes a month, I'm guessing that the overnight from last night with the regular won't affect the garlic. Then again, I could just do both. One for salads, one for candy. :LOL:

What is the difference? I've got some garlic beginning to pickle in just regular Rice Wine Vinegar. Is there a distinct difference with the seasoned? I've never bought the seasoned before. The regular is very mild.

Seasoned rice vineager is seasoned. Almost always with sugar, but often with other things that may or may not be specifically listed (like garlic) and perhaps MSG. Brands differ.

Back
Top Bottom