Half a recipe...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
If there are several ingredients, you might want to write the new measurements down. I cut a recipe for Cherries and Dumplings in half once, doing it in my head as I went along. I accidentally forgot and added the full amount of milk. I then had to try to save it by adding the rest of the ingredients that I had originally halved. Let's just say it was more like Cherries and Tennis Balls than Cherries and Dumplings!

:)Barbara

Last edited:
I totally agree with Barbara L. When I want to make half a recipe, I take a minute and jot down all the measurements I'm going to use in pencil next to the original measurements. This has saved me a lot of grief, as I have tried doing it in my head too many times and in the heat of the moment put half the amount of one thing and all the amount of another. The problem may well be that my old, well-used head is not all that functional, but I think writing it down will save you a lot of problems.

If there are several ingredients, you might want to write the new measurements down. I cut a recipe for Cherries and Dumplings in half once, doing it in my head as I went along. I accidentally forgot and added the full amount of milk. I then had to try to save it by adding the rest of the ingredients that I had originally halved. Let's just say it was more like Cherries and Tennis Balls than Cherries and Dumplings!

:)Barbara

yea, I almost did this, well I did do this, with the salt. I followed a recipe for corn chowder and well, I'm using an elect skillet so I dont have a deep dish to work with so I halved it and it worked out fine.

BTW...the chowder was deelish.

Many recipes online give you the ability to scale the number of servings up and down, but you still have to be careful if there are measurements in the instructions because they will not change when you scale the ingredients.

I have a program (Master Cook though I am looking for a new one as this one is no longer being upgraded and my copy is corrupted.) which will also do this for me so I enter all the recipes for my wedding cakes and catering recipes so I can change the portions.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom