Valentine's Dinner

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Porthand

Cook
I refuse to dine out on VD. But I do want to prepare a romantic meal for my mostly vegetarian DW. Right now the creativity isn't flowing, any suggestions out there???

I am going to prepare Chicken Pepian with a Black Bean/Brown Rice Pilaf. This is a Ellie Krieger recipe and is on Food Network.

It really looks good and appears to be easy to prepare. Good Luck

Later

By "mostly vegetarian" do you mean she will eat a bit of seafood...or chicken? Define that term and I think we can help in a more productive way. :chef:

As long as there is a fabulous chocolate dessert, I wouldn't sweat dinner too much. ;)

As long as there is a fabulous chocolate dessert, I wouldn't sweat dinner too much. ;)

I second this!!!!

How about something in the Shrimp & Pasta category --- Lots of possibilities there. An nice salad...then of course the fabulous chocolate D-Zert!!

Wine, Candles, Soft Music, and flowers are a plus...:)

Have Fun !!!!

What about a risotto made with white wine and vegetable broth, the standard lemon zest and Parmesan cheese, topped with perfectly grilled/cooked/sauteed BIG shrimp (I like scallops too, but, she may not) and some roasted asparagus? ...and chocolate!

KE, you hit it! A risotto topped with scallops and a nice pinot grigio followed by something chocolate.

I appreciate the input to jump start this stalled culinary engine!

This is lemon pasta but just replace it with risotto. It's a bunch in one bowl but it sure was good! The scallops just need a bit more color on them next time.

img_788865_0_2ad6a28baf479750fb891925a2b302c4.jpg

My fall back is usually pasta, with some good bread. My dw would want Indian, and that's an easy cuisine to do vegetarian. Generally speaking, it would be nice to make something where the prep work can be done in advance so there's not too much hustle & bustle right around meal time. It's easier to enjoy the company.

Is there any ethnicity that she really likes or that you are leaning towards?

KE- that past looks amazing. I've never tried risotto but now this thread has got me thinking about trying a seafood risotto for Valentines Day. I would probably make chocolate mousse or individual molten chocolate lava cakes for dessert or maybe chocolate dipped strawberries with a flourless chocolate torte. I take my chocolate dessert seriously on Valentine's Day. :chef:

Indian is one ethnic food she is not wild about. Nice blog, I fwd'd it along to my veg-head.

KE- that past looks amazing. I've never tried risotto but now this thread has got me thinking about trying a seafood risotto for Valentines Day. I would probably make chocolate mousse or individual molten chocolate lava cakes for dessert or maybe chocolate dipped strawberries with a flourless chocolate torte. I take my chocolate dessert seriously on Valentine's Day. :chef:

Risotto is NOT difficult. You just have to know when it's done and don't rush things. Find a basic recipe and go from there. The only difference in MY basic recipe to this version is mine always includes lemon zest. You can then add different things. Sometimes I will use red wine and braise some radicchio to add to it at the end. I have used peas (not canned peas, but, frozen), seafoods, cut up asparagus...truly, the list is endless.

I hate going out for Valentine's Day as well, but I also want to keep it simple, but festive. So every year I just go out & splurge on 2 of the biggest lobsters I can find, boil 'em up, & serve them with melted lemon butter, shoestring fries, & a nice green salad. Usually start off with some type of seafood appetizer first, & finish with something rich & chocolatey. Works for us.:)

Someone on another board suggested personal pizzas. You could prepare the ingredients ahead of time, then make them together and eat 15 min later.

I hate going out for Valentine's Day as well, but I also want to keep it simple, but festive. So every year I just go out & splurge on 2 of the biggest lobsters I can find, boil 'em up, & serve them with melted lemon butter, shoestring fries, & a nice green salad. Usually start off with some type of seafood appetizer first, & finish with something rich & chocolatey. Works for us.:)

Seafood and Chocolate!!!!:wub: --- I don't suppose you need another Valentine do ya??

I agree with the scallop risotto, asparagus and of course chocolate. Maybe a salad?

Have you ever made molten chocolate cake? It is easy and oh so decadent. I have made several recipes and found this one to be the easiest and yet it tastes a good as Hung's from the Top Chef Cookbook...no, really! And you can use any 70% chocolate or even just a good semi-sweet (not chips). I usually serve it with a raspberry coulis but you can serve it plain or with some ice cream or whipped cream. It is always best warm but is so quick that if you have your ingredients ready you can whip it up just before you serve dinner, put it in the oven and it will be ready for dessert time!

Back
Top Bottom