help choosing wine

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

legend_018

Head Chef
ok don't know too much about wines. Making a Chateaubriand dinner for valentines day. Would like a special wine. Nice smooth taste. hate drinking wine where you pucker your lips and squint your eyes after taking a taste "lol". Live in NH so I'd have to call the liquor stores to see if they have it or not. I was (after reading about it on the internet) looking at a maculen moscato that they sell for like $20 in the Nashua liquor store only. But than I found out it was sweet and it was a desert wine. Not sure if that is what I'm looking for or not. doesnt' sound it as I wanted it for dinner.

A Moscato is a dessert wine and would ruin your steak experience. By saying "pucker lips" I am assuming you are not into heavier-bodied tannic wines which are what are usually recommended with steak. taking that you are not that much into wines, I would like to ease you into the experience. I absolutely recommend you couple your steak with a red... and because you have an aversion to bigger reds, I would suggest you try a Beaujolais, Beaujolais Nouveau or Beaujolais-Villages from France... look for Georges Duboeuf or Louis Jadot. Otherwise, you can try a Pinot Noir from Oregon or California. Both these wines are lighter and somewhat fruitier, making them very quaffable for newbies. You can even chill them a tad bit to around 55 F before serving. Enjoy!

Unless you get a Moulin a Vent or Julienas, Beaujolais is not the way to go with Chateaubriand, imho. You're on the right track, tho, with Pinot Noir. Even Bourgogne Rouge from France (which shouldn't cost more than about $15 - $20) would be fine. A Pinot Noir from Oregon's Willamette Valley, or a Merlot from Washington State (NOT California) would be wonderful, but might cost more than you want to spend. (You didn't mention a wine budget) OTOH, since you're springing the big bucks for the steak, perhaps you don't mind spending at least $30 for the wine?

Another great wine with your beef would be a St. Julien from Bordeaux.

I can still remember one of the most special evenings ever where we enjoyed Chateaubriand with a vintage Champagne. Extreme opposites, but a fabulous pairing. I do know that Champagne cost more than $100, tho..... :huh:

You should serve a nice mellow red wine with that steak. Ask the liquor store if they carry any Malbec (it's a type of wine grape) from Argentina. Many excellent bottles available for under $20. If they have a Vina Cobos "El Felino" Malbec, grab it.

I'm no wine expert, but I think tmy favorite new one might go well with your Chateaubriand. It's called 7 Deadly Zins - seven old vine zinfandels blended together. from Lodi, California. Has a nice "spicy" taste.

I agree with Scotch about something mellow. Although merlots and chardonnays have almost become cliches, I think merlots are often a good choice when someone isn't all that experienced with reds and is looking for a wine with body, but that's soft and isn't a mouthful of cherries or chocolate.

You should serve a nice mellow red wine with that steak. Ask the liquor store if they carry any Malbec (it's a type of wine grape) from Argentina. Many excellent bottles available for under $20. If they have a Vina Cobos "El Felino" Malbec, grab it.

Thanks for suggestions All. I appreciate it. I think I might concentrate on getting one of the Malbecs. I did ask for the Vina Cobos when I called the Liquor Store - but they said no. However, they said they had different Malbecs to choose from. So I guess I"ll just go down there and choose.

My first choice with a chateaubriand would be a French Bourgogne pinot noir. You can find a really good one stateside for $20-ish.

Although a new world cabernet or zinfandel would work well, they are more "in your face" than European wines. Old world wines tend to be less spectacular when just sipping and standing on their own, but I think they pair marvelously with food.

I don't like red wines at all, so I drink what I like, no matter what the protein is ;) And I like pink wine, so that's usually what I drink.

I don't like red wines at all, so I drink what I like, no matter what the protein is ;) And I like pink wine, so that's usually what I drink.

I think we all do that, GG -- drink what we like!

and as for pink wine, well, there's not probably a more romantic choice for a Valentine beverage than Brut Rose Champagne!!! and in many places it's possible to get the very delicious Nicolas Feuillatte Brut Rose Champagne for under $40 a bottle. I recommend that for sure! :)

The first rule is to drink what you like. Rose isn't something I would choose with beef, but I can understand that a lot more than the folks I see drinking coffee with their steaks! Yuck!

Another thought is a Côtes du Rhône. It's a nice varietal blend (mostly red grapes) with enough character to stand up to the meat. You can get a good one for under $20 or a GREAT one if you want to spend more.

You can get a Châteauneuf du Pape for a bit over $30 and I guarantee it will be beautiful with that steak.

Another thought is a Côtes du Rhône. It's a nice varietal blend (mostly red grapes) with enough character to stand up to the meat. You can get a good one for under $20 or a GREAT one if you want to spend more.

You can get a Châteauneuf du Pape for a bit over $30 and I guarantee it will be beautiful with that steak.

Thanks, I ended up getting the Chateauneuf du Pape and it was wonderful. I did also get a Malbec, but it wasn't nearly as smooth.

Back
Top Bottom