[Recipe] Felyza's Coffee Liquor

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FWishbringer

Assistant Cook
Felyza's Coffee Liquor

Ingredients
8 Pots (12 'cup') British brewed coffee
10 Cups White Sugar
5 Cups Light Brown Sugar
5 Cups Dark Brown Sugar
2 Cups Hershey's Syrup
1/2 Cup Vanilla Extract
1/4 Cup Rum Extract
2 Gallons Vodka

Tools
Pots with a total capacity of about 4 gallons.
10 750ml bottles
Funnel
Stirring spoon and whisk.

Bring coffee, sugar, and chocolate syrup to boil. I used a single 5 gallon pot, but in future will use 4 separate pots, and combine them as volume is reduced. The 5 gallon pot took about 7 hours to reduce to the beginnings of candy stages. Stir throughout the reduction process. I managed to stain both a wooden and plastic spoon, so use a black spoon, or one you do not care about. Remove from heat and begin cooling at start of thread stage.

Once lukewarm, mix in vanilla, rum extract, and vodka. A quick stirring with the spoon used during reduction, then switch to whisk. Mix until liquid stops accepting the syrup. I had just a little tiny bit of sludge that would not dissolve.

Using the funnel, fill your bottles. I have nice, cobalt blue glass bottles with an attached resealable stopper. (I order cases of Traditional Mountain Honey Wine - 750 ml :: Mountain Honey Wine :: Redstone Meadery about once every other month, and have been saving bottles.) I was able to fill 9 and a half.

--My Results--
Taste testing immediately after bottling was done with a small straight sample, and a 'kahlua and cream' sample (which I know the taste of well, so figured it'd be a good test). It had a very distinct hint of 'burnt sugar', possibly from the duration of time the coffee was boiled to reduce. I was really worried at first. Now that it's aged for almost a day, upon a new sample from the 1/2 full bottle, the 'burnt' flavor is noticeably diminished. Most people say its best after 2 weeks, so I'll keep sampling daily from the 1/2 botte (yes, I'm really only sampling) to see how the flavor progresses. If in the next few days I can find some place to get vanilla beans, I'll put split beans in the bottles. The nearest 4 grocers didn't have them.

Back
Top Bottom