D.C.-Fried Chicken

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chief Longwind Of The North

Certified/Certifiable
I have been reading about the attempts to make KFC fried chicken. I just ate KFC chicken a few nights back and found it has lost much of its origianal magic. When I first tried it, the flavor was new and unique to me. It had so much flavor. Now, it's just another piece of chicken, and is usually greasy. It just doesn't measure up anymore.

So now, I'm challenging the great cooks at DC to come up with a better recipe, and one that doesn't require special equipment, like a pressure frier. I know that my chicken is of better textural quality, jucier, lighter, but maybe not with the ideal spice mixture. I use simiple salt and pepper usually. I will make fried chicken tonight, write down the recipe, and share it with everyone. I invite everyone who wants to to do the same. Then we can all try each other's recipes, and work to perfect our own blend of herbs, spices, and cooking techniques. And if anyone wants to judge the chicken recipes, techniques, and end quality, I say go for it. I just believe that we can make better chicken than KFC.

Anybody up for the challenge?

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

I have been reading about the attempts to make KFC fried chicken. I just ate KFC chicken a few nights back and found it has lost much of its origianal magic.

Thank you!! I just spent way too much money on a bucket and I ended up letting the cats have it. It was not the same and it was definitely not worth the money I paid. Heck, the Banquet frozen chicken in the box was better than my last trip to KFC.

I don't do fried chicken but I would love to see what people here come up.

GW I've tried your cooking method twice now...First time I was duly impressed!! (Did I tell you I am very hard to impress:cool:) The second time...it was pretty good, but no Cigar! --- I did a couple of things different --- I didn't think it would matter -- Next time I will go back to plan "A" to see if I can duplicate my first attempt...Will keep you posted!

Enjoy!

I am up for the challenge, Goodweed. Are we putting a deadline on this? And the recipes should be original or adapted so much they are unique to the person.

Uncle Bob, Thank you. LPBIER, Please feel free to use any inspiration you think would be helpful. Just remember, we are attempting to create an exceptional recipe that uses commonly available ingredients, isn't so demanding or intricate that people won't use it, and it has to taste wonderful. I'm hoping we can come up with something unique and special, something that will put KFC and the other cooking chains to shame, using nothing more than the knowledge we share. I believe we can cook with anybody. We have a lot of talent within our ranks. Let's put it to good use. Who knows, if we do this and it works, then we can do it with other recipes as well and create and maybe even publish a DC Collaberative Cookbook.

With this in mind, we have to be ethical about this. No plagarizations, no copycat recipes, etc.

Goodweed, I know this sounds selfish, but I'm going to sit this one out, and hope to reap the beenfits of all your experimenting. I do not make good fried chicken. It is one of my disappointments. And the chicken we get here is outstanding - no hormones, no antibiotics, nice and fat, extra fresh. I can roast it, fricasee it, braise it for Mexican dishes, etc. But fried? I await the results eagerly.

Something tell me that you changed more than KFC. It's not all that good once you know what is.

This will be interesting to watch. Although I am moderately proficient in several areas, at least enough to usually suit me, I have never been even close to happy with my fried chicken efforts, so much so that I never even attempt it anymore.

I dont know if KFC is all that good anymore, or perhaps if it ever was, but I know that one time I thought it was quite wonderful. I have not had it for some time now (like years), but I long for what I believe I remember. I even tried looking it up recently to see if I could learn more about how to approximate it.

I will anxiously await the opinions and suggestions of the fried chicken experts. Perhaps I will even be inspired to try it again.

I said I was going to test tonight. Here are the results.

Test number 1:
I'm tasting this as I'm typing. The chicken is fresh out of the oven, and I havepaper towel in hands between tasting and typing. Before I start, I made two pieces of chicken - skinless chicken thighs, using identical technique, cooked at the same time in the same oven. I will give the recipes after I taste these and give you the critique.

Recipe 1:
This recipe has significant thought put into the seasonings. So here goes. How do I describe this one? It is soooo good, but dramatically different than the first. The coating doesn't have that mild crunch like the first one does, but isn't sloppy or gooey either. It's a proper coating. But the flavor is much more intense. If your after great chicken meat flavor, then opt for the first recipe. If you want intense, great flavor, opt for recipe number two. I can't really decide which one I like better. This second recipe is bold and litterally takes over your senses. It is a spicy, but not pepper hot. The flavor is well ballanced, and is what you think of when you think chicken while watching the superbowl. I would say that it would rival hot wings for popularity as a snacking food. But you'd better have something to wash it down. This is Bobby Flay Throwdown chicken. I would put this up against anybody. Good thing this isn't a competition. Oh, and just for the record, I have 12 herbs and spices in this recipe

Recipe number 2: Oh wow. The coating is very light, slightly crispy, and the chicken is hot, almost to hot to handle. But it is possibly the most tender chicken I have ever made. The flavor is mildly savory, with a hint of sweet undertones, and just enough pepper to warm your mouth, almost without being able to be detected. But it does enhance the flavor. The coating doesn't hide the chicken meat flavor, but rather, compliments it. I really like this batch. This one is a keeper. Wait, I need another bite. I'm not kidding. This is the most tender chicken I have ever eaten, let alone made. And it's just grocery store chicken, pre-cut and packaged. It's very moist, without being sloppy, and my hands aren't coming away greasy. The after taste is mild, but lingers. It's pleasant. This is good chicken! Delicate but wonderful flavor. Don't drink this one with beer. You need something better.

Ok. so here are the recipes.

Recipe 1: I'm going to name this one - Goodweed's Bull Dog Chicken
Preheat the oven to 375' F.
In a bowl, combine the following with a wire whisk.
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1 1/2 tsp. kosher salt
1/2 tsp. granulated garlic powder
1/8 tsp. powdered ginger
1/2 tsp. marjoram
1/4 tsp. rubbed sage
1/4 tsp. ground thyme
1/2 tsp. black pepper
1/4 tsp. tumeric
1/8 tsp. red pepper
1 dash Chinese 5-spice powder
1/8 tsp. celery seed
1/4 tsp. granulated onion powder
In a seperate bowl, make an egg-wash from 1 large egg whisked with 1/4 cup water.

Preheat 2 inches of oil in a frying pan until fragrant. Turn heat to medium flame.

Skin the chicken thighs and dredge in seasoned flour. Dip in the egg-wash, and then again in the seasoned flour. Shake excess coating from the chicken and place in hot oil. Don't crown the pan. Fry on each side for 2 minutes. Remove the chicken to a foil-lined pan and place into the oven. Bake for 20 minutes. Serve immediately.

Recipe Number 2: Name this one for me, but not until after you've tried it. So good!
Preheat oven to 375' F.
Again, whisk the following ingredients into a bowl:
1/2 cup flour
1/4 cup uncooked farina (cream of wheat)
1 1/2 tsp. Kosher salt
1/2 tsp black pepper
1/2 tsp granulated garlic
1/8 tsp. cinnamon
1/8 tsp. red pepper
1/8 tsp. ground cumin
Egg-wash
Follow the same cooking technique as in recipe number 1.

Ok. So while the first recipe is a delicate delight, the second is a celebration for your taste buds. Neither is your grandma's fried chicken. This is pure goodweed stuff. I hate to sound so full of myself, but after these two successes, I really can't help myself. You guys and gals gotta try 'em. If you don't, you'll be cheating yourselves. You can tell your family that you created them if you want. I don't care. Can I have some more? Oh, wait. I just made two pieces. Oh, and the second recipe is made to go with some great sides, like sweet or mashed potatoes, and a good salad to help resuscitate your taste buds. Enjoy.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Farina = Cream of wheat? elaborate for me plz?

Think of corn meal, but made of wheat. The texture is a little grainy, but when cooked, is smooth, like tiny tapioca balls, slightly sweet, and warms you to your bones.

Added in its uncooked state to a flour mixture, then fried in oil, it develops a softer crunch than does corn meal, which can be too crunchy at times. The farina blends with the flour to create a lightly crunchy texture, without altering other flavors. It's in there for its texture.

ok, I'm giving you gramma Fischer's recipe.........kill the chicken and pluck it.....ok skip this part..........(but that's what she did on a Saturday).........brine the chicken......that means to cut it up into pieces and soak in salt water for several hours......she'd do it before Sunday mass.........come home roll the pieces in flour that had been spiced with salt and pepper/////probably a teaspoon salt or so to 1/4 tsp pepper.........that's it......and then fry in oil........she put Col. Sanders to shame.......

Ok, so who's gonna try out the recipes? And we need more than just the two I posted, and Expat's Grandmother's. C'mon everyone. It's time to step up and shine. We can do it better than the Colonel. I know we can. We have a bunhc of talent around here.

Ok, so one of you who admit to not being great at frying chicken. You could test the recipes and let us know who hard or easy it was for you to follow it, and what kind of relults you got. That would be a great test for you and those who post recipes.

We need to show what we can do. So who's next? Who's gonna step up and be counted?

Something tell me that you changed more than KFC. It's not all that good once you know what is.

I would have to disagree. KFC does not make their chicken the same way they used to. If you look at this commercial from 1969, the chicken looks completely different from the breaded looking junk they sell today. The old chicken had a light coating of flour and was cooked to a darker color.

YouTube - Kentucky Fried Chicken commercial - 1969

Hi. I am very interested in the outcome of this. I will definitely try it, but it wont be in the next couple of days. Maybe in the next week or ten days, however. I may have to ask for a couple of pointers, though; while I am moderately competent at several things, I am almost completely ignorant about frying chicken.

Ok, so who's gonna try out the recipes? And we need more than just the two I posted, and Expat's Grandmother's. C'mon everyone. It's time to step up and shine. We can do it better than the Colonel. I know we can. We have a bunhc of talent around here.

Ok, so one of you who admit to not being great at frying chicken. You could test the recipes and let us know who hard or easy it was for you to follow it, and what kind of relults you got. That would be a great test for you and those who post recipes.

We need to show what we can do. So who's next? Who's gonna step up and be counted?

I have to agree with you. I have not had it a lot, but I usually have a good memory as concerning food, and it is my belief that what I have had in the last few years has not been the same as what I had as a child or when I was in college. It was quite good then, I thought.

I would have to disagree. KFC does not make their chicken the same way they used to. If you look at this commercial from 1969, the chicken looks completely different from the breaded looking junk they sell today. The old chicken had a light coating of flour and was cooked to a darker color.

YouTube - Kentucky Fried Chicken commercial - 1969

Back
Top Bottom