ISO Ham Hocks and Beans recipe TNT

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jabbur

Master Chef
I've been wanting to make some beans and ham but have never done it before. I picked up a package of 4 smoked ham hocks and 2 1-lb bags of beans, (1 navy, 1 great northern). I've google recipes and searched forums so I have a good idea of the process but the amounts of the onion, garlic and other ingredients are so widely varied! Also not sure which bean would be the better choice since most recipes just say "beans" and don't specify type. I plan on soaking the beans overnight on Friday and cooking them on Sat. Any recipe or tips you can give me would be greatly appreciated.

Some tips/ideas I would offer.....Either bean will work for you --- 1 lb of dried beans makes a lot of beans!! You may wanna consider using less...Say 1/2 to 2/3 of the bag will yield plenty for two or three people...with left overs possible.--- 2 Avg size hocks should be enough for that amount of beans --- Cook/simmer them, along with a couple of bay leaves to render all the flavor/fat etc --- Take the hocks out..cool...remove any meat, and reserve for later -- The "stock" from the hocks is what you wanna cook the beans in after soaking --- Seasonings can be as simple or complex as you want -- Salt. pepper, garlic, a pinch or two of thyme would be basic for me --- Onion (1 Cup) bell pepper (1/2 cup) would fall within the basics for me --- I like to add all seasonings towards the end of cooking so as not to totally over cook them ---- Sometimes throwing in a little chopped green onion, and parsley at the very end before service can be very good...Say 1/4 cup of each more or less....Add any meat from the hock at the very end...just long enough to heat through....A side of Smoked sausage (4" or 5" link or more) per person is yummy! Some rice completes the meal...along with French bread....Wine etc...

Have Fun and Enjoy!

Thanks Uncle Bob. Knew you would have some advice for me. Funny you didn't mention which whiskey goes well with this meal!:LOL: I was thinking of making some corn bread to go with since that is what Mom always did. Unfortunately she died several years ago before imparting her method. Some of her recipes are just a list of ingredients! Her cooked mayo recipe gives measurements for the sugar and flour and milk but everything else is a chunk of this a squirt of that a bit of something else! Fortunately she had make those recipes while she was still around to eyeball my chunks!

Another question - Can you freeze this after cooking like soup?

Yep, what UB said!!! I've never done green pepper in my beans - will have to try that. Also, I have cubed a potato in the mix. This will thicken the liquid for some mighty good soppin'!!!

I'll add what UB forgot :LOL:

Cornbread works wonders with beans and ham hocks. We usually like to add some small diced raw onions to our individual bowl and if there is some hot chowchow available, that goes on too - yummy!

Oh, and BROWN whiskey goes best!

Another question - Can you freeze this after cooking like soup?

I've never frozen beans that were cooked by this method...My guess is they wouldn't be too sporty once thawed...Pureed into a soup of sorts??.. Maybe yes....

Mashing a few of the soft beans against the side of the pot will cause them to thicken to your desired consistency....:chef:

An excellent Kentucky Bourbon of at least 100 Octane would make an delicious cocktail...;)

Have Fun!

Kitchenelf said:
I've never done green pepper in my beans

You most go there....It's a good thing!:ermm:

In fact a little Trinity is fairly common in Red Beans down here..I normally just go 2/3 of the way---leaving out the 'Sel-Ree';)

Thanks for all the tips. I know I'd like the green peppers but DH wouldn't so those will be left out. I'll post here again Sat. evening and let you know how they came out. I'm looking forward to this! Seems like since the kids are out of the house and DH is gone most evenings, all my cooking happens on Sat!

No recipe for beans...just throw them in a pan...with your hamhocks...or ham, cover with water and cook until they're the doneness you want. The only thing I have to do is set a timer so I can remember to add more water as they cook..(otherwise I'll let them go dry)...then when they start to get the softness you want...quit adding water and let them cook until they're as done and thick as you want. I agree with the poster that said smash a few of the beans! In the last bit of cooking add any other ingredients you want.

Jabbur, I freeze my bean soups all the time and they thaw out just fine.

Here is the bean soup mix that I use. You can mix it up to make 5 portions that you can use later or you can use the amounts in parenthesis to make a single portion. I have also make this recipe in the slow cooker and it turns out perfect.

Basic Bean Soup Mix

Dried bean mix:

1 lb. dried kidney beans
1 lb. dried yellow lentils
1 lb. dried green split peas
1 lb. dried black beans
1 lb. dried black-eyed peas

or (1 lb. of mixed beans)*

To prepare dried bean mix, combine the first five ingredients in a large bowl. Divide the bean mixture into 5 equal portions (about 2½ cups each), and place in airtight containers.

Spice mix:

5 teaspoons salt (1 tsp.)*
5 teaspoons dried basil (1 tsp.)
5 teaspoons dried rosemary (1 tsp.)
5 teaspoons dried thyme (1 tsp.)
2½ teaspoons black pepper (½ tsp.)
1¼ teaspoons crushed red pepper (¼ tsp.)
5 bay leaves (1 bay leaf)

To prepare spice mix, combine the salt and next 6 ingredients in a bowl. Divide spice mix into 5 equal portions. Place in small airtight containers.
*Amounts in parenthesis are for single portions of the recipe.

Additional soup ingredients for 1 packet of dried bean soup mix and 1 packet of spice mix:

6-8 cups water
1-2 smoked ham hocks (1/2 lb.)
1 cup chopped onion
1 (14.5 oz.) can no-salt added diced tomatoes, undrained

To prepare soup, sort and wash dried beans. Place in large pot. Cover with additional water 2” above beans; cover and let soak 8 hours. Drain. Combine drained bean mixture, 6-8 cups of water, and ham hock in large pot; bring to boil. Add packet of spice mix, onion, and tomatoes. Cover, reduce heat and simmer for 2 hours. Uncover and cook for one hour. Discard bay leaf. Remove ham hock from soup. Remove meat from bone. Shred meat and return to soup. Makes 6 servings.

Last edited:
Uncle Bob's recipe/technique is much the same as mine, except no green pepper in mine. I like ham hocks with lima beans but any bean is fine.

My "secret" when cooking almost all dried beans is to add a tablespoon of so of vinegar towards the end of the cooking process. You don't taste the vinegar but it does wonders to bring out the flavor of the beans.

If interested, here's my cornbread recipe: http://www.mamas-southern-cooking.com/skillet-cornbread.html. This is a fairly dense cornbread that holds up well to soups, etc. I like to break it up into pieces and add it directly to the beans. If you prefer a lighter texture, increase the baking powder to 1 tablespoon.

Since you have never made beans before, you may not know that you have to sort them before cooking--dump a few at a time into your hand or a bowl and pick out any little lumps of dirt or rocks. Then rinse the sorted beans in water to get rid of dust and dirt.

A rock in your beans will certainly spoil your dinner.

OK..
Soak the beans for a few hours, or overnight.

Change the water, toss the ham hocks in along with a couple of bay leaves, quarter an onion, toss that in along with some salt and let the beans simmer...
Thats about it...

We used to server beans at our little restaurant every Monday. Thats what we did and they would flock in to get them.

When you server, have raw onion available along with ketchup and pickle relish(trust me on this). Just a dab of ketchup and pickle relish in the beans and onion on top... try it.. it's great!

oh.. when its done, shread the meat off the ham hocks and add back to the beans.

Back
Top Bottom