Pests/insects in my pasta!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Argamemnon

Senior Cook
I was making a bag of pasta today and to my horror I saw lots of small black things floating in the pot. I had bought these bags of (whole wheat) pasta six months ago, I think. How is this possible??

I was making a bag of pasta today and to my horror I saw lots of small black things floating in the pot. I had bought these bags of (whole wheat) pasta six months ago, I think. How is this possible??

Tell us the brand of Pasta so we can avoid this company.
There may have been insect eggs in the pasta which hatched
during the 6 months.
Insects are a good source of protein though :)

that sometimes happens..... seems to be some problem in the factory.. I'd try to complain about that, don't know if it still works after six months..
what do the other bags look like?

why would you complain about that? they are excellent when sauteed in a little butter and garlic :wacko:

btw, are you sure they are bugs?? when you said "black things", it seemed like you weren't quite sure

Tell us the brand of Pasta so we can avoid this company.
There may have been insect eggs in the pasta which hatched
during the 6 months.
Insects are a good source of protein though :)
They are organic pasta bought here in the Netherlands, made in Italy, I think; "La Bio Idea" from Sicily...

I have some 10 more bags I think, I need to check them as well!!

Whenever you buy grain or grain products, you should put it in the freezer for a couple days (or store it there if you have the room--that is what I do). That will kill off any wee beasties that naturally come with grains. Since I've started doing this, I haven't had this problem.

:)Barbara

Whenever you buy grain or grain products, you should put it in the freezer for a couple days (or store it there if you have the room--that is what I do). That will kill off any wee beasties that naturally come with grains. Since I've started doing this, I haven't had this problem.

:)Barbara
Thank you Barbara, that seems good advice :)

img_794414_0_2c599a0772131a3ff64f9fa2af82f67f.gif
need love too ... but not in my food! :chef:

To be honest, 6 months is a long time to store pasta/grain products. Regardless of how clean your kitchen is, it's quite possible - depending on how/where the pasta has been stored - the bugs invaded some time after your purchase. I truly doubt the company can be held accountable for spoilage after 6 months time.

Sorry if this grosses out some people, but very often there are eggs already existing inside the packages, and sometimes they hatch inside and become all visible. The possible solution, apart from consuming them fairly quickly, is to store them in the freezer or fridge to prevent the eggs from hatching. It is quite possible that we are taking in some extra "proteins" unknowingly, which may not be a very pleasant thought, but also this means the product comes from a pesticide free environment. So it is not all negative if your pasta/flour contains a little visitors...

This is easily possible, not uncommon at all with grains. But not a problem, in my opinion. I would try to float/dump off the buggies, and continue on.

Back
Top Bottom