How to cook bacon?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

NYCGayTranslator

Assistant Cook
I have a microwave, a small toaster oven, a rice cooker, an induction burner with a large, flat-bottomed wok, and no oven or stove. Also, no paper towels, however I did recently find aluminum foil. How can I cook bacon?

I'd put the bacon on the bottom of your wok and cook it over medium heat. Don't flip the bacon until it shrinks a little and the edges start to look crispy. If you don't have paper towels, I would use a fork or tongs and lift the bacon out of the pan and gently shake off some of the drippings. Your bacon will probably be a little greasy without paper towels but it will still be OK.

If necessary, cut the bacon strips in half to fit the toaster oven tray. Lay the half strips across the rack in the tray and bake at 400 F. until done.

You can drain them on a paper grocery bag (if they exist).

If you don't have paper towels, brown paper bags are GREAT for draining fried anything.

Cooking bacon in the microwave is the least messy way, but frying it up in a pan smells so good, and gives you great bacon fat for frying other things. :pig:

I always start the bacon in a cold pan. The mess isn't too bad, especially if you have one of those lids that let the air in but prevent spatter.

There are no paper bags in China. You even have to pay 30 cents for every plastic bag, at any store in the country.

You could use newspaper to drain it on. I'd vote for baking it in the toaster oven or using your wok to fry it.

It is not the end of the world if you can't drain it on paper towels or paper bag. It will just be a little more greasy.

There are no paper bags in China. You even have to pay 30 cents for every plastic bag, at any store in the country.

Sorry, I didn't notice that if you posted that info earlier. I wouldn't have guessed there were no paper bags in China, tho.

Newspaper also makes a good "fat-drainer."

I've tired that and found my microwave cooks the strips unevenly. I bake the bacon in the oven on a rack (400F) and it comes out great! Evenly cooked and I can save the fat if I need it.
I do the same Andy, I like the way it comes out and my stove stays clean as does my oven. I cover it with parchment paper.
kadesma

In America I cooked bacon in the microwave and in the oven at 400, but I have qualms about using newspaper with no paper towels, and I don't know how to catch the grease in a small toaster oven.
Newspapers here seem the same as in America at first glance, but I wouldn't be surprised if there were something nasty in the ink that I might not want to ingest.
I'm only saying that because I've gotten food poisoning too many times to mention in my short time here. For example, most restaurant toilets have no sink, so I know the staff aren't washing their hands.

When I was in University I had four burners and a toaster oven. I did everything in that toaster oven, and it wasn't a big one. Do you have an oven tray and broiler rack for your toaster oven? If so, just put the bacon on the top piece with the holes, over the solid tray and bake it at about 300 degrees. Watch it so it doesn't spatter, and turn it once. I made great bacon this way for 4 years!

Back
Top Bottom