Gordon Ramsay (Merged)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BreezyCooking

Washing Up
I have to admit that I used to hate Gordon Ramsay based on his "Hell's Kitchen" show, which I still don't like due to the way he treats those "students", such as they are. I know they need to learn that the restaurant business isn't an easy life, but still. . . .

However, at the same time I've recently found myself virtually ADDICTED to his other two shows: "The 'f' Word" & "Kitchen Nightmares". Language & abuse or not, I'm mesmerized - with "Kitchen Nightmares" in particular.

I just finished watching the season he spent in the U.S., & was particularly interested in the show he did revamping "The Seascape" on Long Island, NY, since I'd actually dined there back in the '70's when it was a true seafood-dining landmark. But regardless of the restaurant, it's both intriguing & appalling to see how disgusting some of these restaurants are behind the scenes. I mean, having spent a few years waitressing back in my younger days, I have no starry-eyed illusions about the restaurant business, but some of these places - my God!!

"The 'f' Word" I find fun for the cooking & the outside bits & snips of food life in the UK, along with Gordon's experiments with raising his own livestock.

I've only just caught a few episodes here and there of Kitchen Nightmares, but holy moly some of those places (and chefs) need his help BADLY. He is one talented guy from what I've seen. Blunt to the point of pain though.

I like watching his shows, I don't care for name calling, but he is super putting a restaurant back on it's feet. You know his places must be spotless and that the food is fresh and the taste outstanding.
kadesma

I just watched the Nightmare show about the restaurant in NY with the roaches. All those bugs made my skin crawl - but the transformation was amazing!

I just watched the Nightmare show about the restaurant in NY with the roaches. All those bugs made my skin crawl - but the transformation was amazing!

Yes - the Indian place. And not only the roaches, but the flies breeding in the rotten lettuce. And the literally moldy green burgers/chicken/lamb they were STILL cooking & serving!!!!! Outrageous.

What I'd love to know is how they stage these things. Like with Martin, the manager at the Indian restaurant who quit on the spot/was-about-to-be-fired? Big argument between him & Ramsay, then his big "I quit" & being filmed walking down the street muttering to himself. This can't all be impromptu adlibs can they? How do they do this stuff?

I think he is too much a bully - I never learned anything
from someone threatening and screaming at me.
There is a famous chef in NY -Eric Rippert - when he instructs or
critiques he is quiet and gentle and IMHO much more effective than
Ramsey. I have a feeling Ramsey might be playing his part as
directed by the writers and producers.

Yes - the Indian place. And not only the roaches, but the flies breeding in the rotten lettuce. And the literally moldy green burgers/chicken/lamb they were STILL cooking & serving!!!!! Outrageous.

What I'd love to know is how they stage these things. Like with Martin, the manager at the Indian restaurant who quit on the spot/was-about-to-be-fired? Big argument between him & Ramsay, then his big "I quit" & being filmed walking down the street muttering to himself. This can't all be impromptu adlibs can they? How do they do this stuff?

Martin wasn't the sharpest pencil in the box.He was set up,and didn't even see it coming.That particular episode's showdown between Ramsay and Martin,went beyond the the show.Martin was publicly humiliated in more ways than one.

If my memory is correct Martin tried to sue,it was dropped.Don't think he works in the food industry,not even as a busboy.

It's because of that show.We no longer eat out.

My husband and I have our 20th wedding anniversary coming up.I'm just dreading it.I know he's going to suggest we go out.*shudders*

Munky.

While I take everything from Wikipedia with a grain of salt, this made for some interesting reading. And you're right ChefMunky - they do mention that "Martin" from that show did institute a lawsuit that was later dropped.

Gordon Ramsay - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Don't give up dining out based on this show. I certainly haven't. Really - life is too short, & even with this show, it's very unlikely to get shorter via a very enjoyable dinner out at a nice restaurant. GO OUT FOR YOUR ANNIVERSARY & ENJOY!!!:)

Family

Almost all the family, uncles, aunts, grandma, mom, had to work in kitchens which weren't their own. They were always trying to prepare and clean the way they did at home. However, others did not feel the same way and what stories they have told me does make one wonder how the people can actually pay for the food they eat? Some people are so nasty and downright mean. If I would repeat some of the things they told me it would make you quit going out to eat. Even now, just remembering some of the upsetting stories makes me want to throw up.

Gordon Ramsay is only ONE in a million. How he can expect others to have his values really makes one want to hit his head against a wall. Using the language he does isn't appealing. However, in order to calm my words I drink wine. Which is worse? At least , it is red wine! Sometimes lots of it.

I forgot to add that one thing I do extremely dislike about "The 'f' Word" show are the bits by Janet Street-Porter. Unpleasant looking & even more unpleasant sounding (& even more foul-mouthed than Gordon), this outspoken former newscaster who now appears as a regular on "The 'f" Word" just has me turning the sound off until her segment is over. How this woman got the accolades she apparently has (among a LOT of controversary) is beyond me. An unbelievably grating personality.

Uh - step away from the computer for a minute & then step back & please retype what you just said, because it doesn't make any sense.

I DO watch Ramsay's shows on BBCAmerica. Have also watched his U.S. shows. His personality is what it is. I see absolutely no difference in the U.K. & U.S. shows. And there sure is PLENTY of drama on both "The 'f' Word" (U.K.) & "Kitchen Nightmares" (worldwide). Your point is - lol - pointless.

yeah maybe I should have explained that better.

So in BBC version while he is rough so to say he isnt like flipping off the handle after a split second. he gets frustrated like everyone would and does what he needs to do to inspire. Maybe it has gotten worse over the last few years on BCC America. I have some 2004 and 2005 episodes on disc and it isnt all like yelling and screaming and basiclly a tempertantrum for better lack of words.

Ill have to see if i can get a hold of some newer BCC episodes.

I like the BBC episodes much better as well.

I think Gordon definitely exaggerates for the TV cameras but at the same time he does not enable improper behavior. Sometimes you have to call a spade a spade but there are plenty of ways to do this without making your chefs cry!

Chef Ramsay acts the way he does because of American ratings, pretty sad, huh? I have seen him on talk shows and he actually seems quite human. There is something about him that I really like.
Candee

Who wants to watch a dull show? What sponsors are going to pay for a dull show? :LOL:

They don't call it "Hell's Kitchen" for no reason ... and how would a mild manned cooking instructor handle someone pulling pasta out of the trash to serve a customer? :ermm:

People either like Ramsey or they hate him. But one thing they can never honestly ask is, "So Chef, what did you REALLY think?" :angel:

Last edited:
I think he is too much a bully - I never learned anything
from someone threatening and screaming at me.
There is a famous chef in NY -Eric Rippert - when he instructs or
critiques he is quiet and gentle and IMHO much more effective than
Ramsey. I have a feeling Ramsey might be playing his part as
directed by the writers and producers.

Yes I agree and I wish he wouldn't swear so much, it spoils the program.

I don't like his managment style but he has the Michelin Stars to prove that it works. And he his no one hit wonder in business with an extreamly high failure rate. And he did it on his own, daddy did not give it to him.

The shows on BBC Amercia do show that he does care and is willing to teach those that want to learn the business.

Would I want to work in his kitchen? No.

I I had a kitchen would I take his advice? Yes, and be glad to have it.

I don't like his managment style but he has the Michelin Stars to prove that it works. And he his no one hit wonder in business with an extreamly high failure rate. And he did it on his own, daddy did not give it to him.

The shows on BBC Amercia do show that he does care and is willing to teach those that want to learn the business.

Would I want to work in his kitchen? No.

I I had a kitchen would I take his advice? Yes, and be glad to have it.

He was on another segment of 'Hell's Kitchen' last night, appropriately named. On this particular show one of the applicant's asked if he could see 'The Chef' in private. Ramsay made special time for him and this man told him he did not like to be called Bobby. He said his father was Bobby and made him feel upset as he wanted to be called Robert. The Chef apologized and said he would honor his wishes and respected the fact that Robert had made him aware of this fact. I don't believe if someone was really cold hearted that he would even care what people thought. His actions are not really honest. He acts this way for the results he wants. He admired the one person he let go for her fight she showed. He feels if a person wants something bad enough they will do everything in t heir power to get it. Does he intimidate the group to see what kind of metal they are made of? As someone said, not easy job. You have to truly earn your pay.

My hope is he doesn't have heart attack.

I know on the U.S. shows he acts like a big bully but thats just for the entertainment factors in the U.S. market. Kitchen Nightmare in the U.K. Version is really tame compared to the U.S. Version.

Back
Top Bottom