New to art of salads

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tomaquinas539

Assistant Cook
Hello everyone. New here

So my task is to make amazing salads for my guru. Dietary restrictions are: no onions, garlic, meats, eggs, wines, alchol, vinegar, store bought dressings, cheese with rennet (and mainly restricted to cottage cheese right now). I know this probably eliminates alot.

Right now I have a beautiful red butterleaf head and I need some suggestions on a sweet, tangy salad. So in reguards to below, any ideas suggestions, etc. etc are much apreciated:angel:

I am thinking right now:
1/2 head of the butterleaf
2TBS grapeseed or olive oil
2TBS walnuts or almonds
some cut tangerines
2TBS cottage cheese
1/4teasp fresh ground mustard seed
1/3 cup of thin sliced cucumbers
some thin chopped gala apple

what about shrimp or fish? you can make a nice chicken and tangerine salad with a tangerine and olive oil dressing. Shrimp is really good on salads too. I make a jerk shrip salad with jicama, if jicima is out of the question the cucumber will work just as well. what other seasonings are okay?

Depending on what else you're having, you can use lemon or orange juice instead of vinegar in the dressing. Citrus juice, olive oil, salt and pepper makes a fine dressing with a fruity, nutty salad.

Good idea would be to adding some sesame seeds to your salad, which will add sweet hint and buttery taste. Sesame seeds are very healthy too. ;-)

I guess I will just juice the tangerine and put less chopped pieces chopped in there.
How about proportions??

Dressing: 2TBS grapeseed oil
2TBS tangerine juice and some chopped tangerines pieces
dash of salt and pepper

Tossed fresh:
1/2 head of the butter leaf lettuce
1TBS walnuts or almonds
2TBS cottage cheese
1/4 cup of thin sliced cucumbers
1/4 cup thin chopped gala apple

Also: does the cucumber compliment well or could I do better with a different vegtable, like some alfalfa sprouts, brocoli etc.??

Should tomatoes and/or olives be added??

I guess I will just juice the tangerine and put less chopped pieces chopped in there.
How about proportions??

Dressing: 2TBS grapeseed oil
2TBS tangerine juice and some chopped tangerines pieces
dash of salt and pepper

Tossed fresh:
1/2 head of the butter leaf lettuce
1TBS walnuts or almonds
2TBS cottage cheese
1/4 cup of thin sliced cucumbers
1/4 cup thin chopped gala apple

Also: does the cucumber compliment well or could I do better with a different vegtable, like some alfalfa sprouts, brocoli etc.??

Should tomatoes and/or olives be added??

It sounds great to me. Tomatoes would be good, if you can find good ones this time of year.

Back
Top Bottom