Two great Tastes, taste great together

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chief Longwind Of The North

Certified/Certifiable
I had left-over batter from Audeo's banana bread recipe as I had used it to make muffins for Christmas Giveaway Treats to some freinds. I took the leftover batter and put it into a greased and floured square springorm pan and smoothed it evenly. I then poured a boxed, fudge brownie mix over the top, again making it level. Melt one stick butter and drizzle all over everthing as evenly as possible. Bake at 425 for about 40 minutes.

The steam from the banana bread rizes through the brownie mix and creates a scrumptious topping as the butter crisps the top crust and edges. It tastes great. With the mutually complimentary flavors of chocolate and banana, how could this recipe have gone wrong? :D

The only way it could be better would be to serve it with some good strawberry ice cream, the kind that is mostly vanilla with strawberry jam swirls and chunks of berry throughout. Of course the fudge/bannana bar would have to be hot, and maybe with a great chocolate sauce over the top. Wow! Even if I can't eat it, I can taste it in my mind and make it for others.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Goodweed of the North said:
I then poured a boxed, fudge brownie mix over the top, again making it level. Melt one stick butter and drizzle all over everthing as evenly as possible. Bake at 425 for about 40 minutes.

Figured I'd better clarify before I try this. I'm assuming you mixed up the brownie batter according to the box's directions. Or did you put the dry mix in the pan and top that with the stick of melted butter?

Goodweed! If anything, you are a hell of a creative person. I would never have thought to do what you did. At most, I would have poured the leftover batter into another pan.

The dry, unmixed brownie mix is sprikled over the batter. The steam from the cooking batter is sufficient to moisten the brownie mix.

This isn't such a stretch. I'm sure most of us have made "dump cakes", where a dry yellow cake mix is just dumped over a juicy fruit filling, drizzled with butter and chopped nuts, and baked. Well, I tried that recipe with different types of cake mixes and altered the fruit fillings before and that worked well. I just thought I'd apply the same technique to the banana bread batter. It worked. In retrosect, though this was a very tasty experiment, it would benefit from a bit more moisture. I think next time I will bake this in a covered casserole dish, to trap more of the moisture. But then, will it make the top soggy. Or maybe I should add more water to the batter, not a lot, but just a little water. Then the bottom layer will be more tender.

As is, this would make a great trail snak, or would be good served hot.

Well, gotta see what other threads I have time to respond to before going to work.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Back
Top Bottom