Basic Pork Loin Primer.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chief Longwind Of The North

Certified/Certifiable
Here's a very basic pork Loin primer. You can use it with any lean pork roast actually.

Pork Roast

Basic Pork Roast
Pork has a texture much like turkey and needs to be cooked with similar techniques. One popular technique is to start the pork in a hot oven, which is then turned down when the meat is placed in it. To preserve the natural juices, and promote tenderness, the meat should never be cooked above 165 degrees. To insure perfect results, use a meat thermometer. Just remember that there is carry-over cooking. That is, the outer surface of the meat is hotter than is the middle. That heat will “soak” into the meat over a ten to fifteen minute period. So to get that perfect internal temperature of about 165’ F., remove the meat from the heat source when the thermometer reads 155’ F.
When done properly, there is no finer tasting, or more tender meat than roasted pork. And the juices make a tremendous gravy. Enjoy.

For various seasonings that work well with pork, please read the list that follows this basic recipe.

Ingredients:
1 Pork roast, such as a tenderloin. Figure  lb. per person as the meat will shrink when cooked.
 tsp. Sage or Thyme
2 tbs. coarsely ground Black Pepper
Salt
Fatty Bacon

Pre-heat oven to 450'F. Lightly dust the roast with the sage or thyme, salt, and pepper. Massage into the meat. Let sit for 15 minutes.

Cut the bacon into thin, short strips.

With the point of a paring knife, stab slits into the roast every half inch or so. Push the fatty bacon stips into the slits. The strips are called lardoons; and the technique is called lardooning. The fat from the bacon will melt and distribute itself into the lean and dry interior of the roast, adding flavor and making the meat more moist.

Rub cooking oil over the meat and place in an uncovered roasting pan, preferably on a wire rack. Place in the oven and roast for 10 minutes. Reduce heat to 360'F. Place a meat thermometer into the thickest part of the roast and cover. Cook for approximately 12 minutes per pound. At the end of the cooking time, check the thermometer. It should register about 145'F. If not, roast for another 15 minutes. Recheck the meat temperature every 15 minutes until the thermometer reads 155'F. Remove the roast and let sit for 15 minutes before carving.

Herbs and spices that work well with pork:
Savory
Cumin
Coriander
Sage
Thyme
Salt
Black Pepper
Cayenne Pepper
Paprika
Chili Powder
Lemon Pepper
Ginger

Other flavors that work with pork:
Most fruits, including, but not limited to:
Peaches
Apricots
Apple
Cherries
Mango
Pineapple
Plumbs
Oranges
Raisins

Various mustards
Honey/Mustard Mix
Brown Sugar
Honey/vinager
Tomato based barbecue sauce
Onion
Grilled onion
Sherry Wine

Be creative. Mix and match flavors to make dry rubs, or marinades, or glazes for your roast. But remember that sugar burns easily and you will have to baste frequently with glazes to develop their flavor on the meat.

Have fun with your roast, and enjoy it. And what’s that final meat temperature; that’s right, remove the roast when the thermometer reads 155, or even 145 if you like your pork with a tinge of pink. Don’t worry. It’s safe with just a tinge of pink, and juicer too.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Roast Pork

Your information is GREAT.
I may even go back to roasting a pork loin.

I started using the Boston Butt for my pork roast.
I find it a lot more favorable. What we don't eat as a roast dinner, I "pull" the rest for BBQ sandwiches.

Question?
There is a pork shoulder, "Picnic Ham", at my local supermarket at very reasonable price, like .95 a lb. I know there is probably a lot of fat and bone. I could live with that if it was favorable.

Do you think it would work for Pulled Pork?

Charlie

The picnic ham is the portion of the front leg and shoulder just below the Boston butt. It should work fine for pulled pork. It will have a little less fat than the BB.

I have found rubbing with your spices then add a jar of Raspberry Jalapeno jam/preserves over the top.

Start the loin on a rack at 500F for 15 minutes. Turn down to 260F for 1 1/2 hours ( I check the temp at 1 hour) When the loin hits 142 in the middle I take it out and let it rest.

The loin is always perfect with a nice crust on the outside very juicy on the inside.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom