Insult or praise?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CharlieD

Chef Extraordinaire
So I was home yesterday with kids and for breakfast I made pancakes for them. After words my 8-year old told me that they were as good as the ones their grandma (my mother makes). Hm, should I consider it an insult or praise? They were really good. Have not made them that good in a while. The ingredients really play a huge roll in the taste (well, what’s new).

Anytime you are not sure, go with praise :) I am a glass is half full kind of guy.

Happy Chanukah Charlie! I wish you and your family all the best.

Praise Charlie D - you have mastered a great recipe that your kid loves! Congratulations!

Grandmas are famous for making all manner of things delicious. "Tis only to your credit that your kid put you on the same level, man.

Yes, indeed, grandmas are the best cooks. I can still taste the things my grandma used to make, and she’s been gone for 20 years, wow, that’s a scary thought. Too bad. She was an amazing cook.

I loved my Grandma's cooking, my son loves my Mom's. =) It's just the way things work.

I'd definitely say it was a compliment!

;)
Z

Let's put it this way, if somebody told me that I cooked as good as either of my grandmothers ------ I would die a happy camper.

To most 8 year olds, "Grandparents" are near "God-Like" figures...and they have few "comparators" and definitely not a strong grip of the language, or how their innocent commentscould ever possibly conceived as "mean"...

"Grandparents", after all, are the only ones that can regularly (in their world) give parents "sass-back", and not be punished)...

I'd take this as a compliment of the highest level and try to jot down that recipe, as best I could recreate it!

Will be picking up the "waffle" thread on this board for our family, and hoping to get any sort of kudos, anything "near" like your daughter gave...

Lifter

My maternal grandmother was a horrible cook, so in my house, that would be an insult. :roll:

Reminds me of a funny story! My Mom was trying to get my son to give some details about his kindergarten teacher. She asked him "Is your teacher young or old?".

My son looked at her, furrowed his brow and bit and said "She's old. But she doesn't have as many crinkles as you."

haha 15 years later and we still tease her about her "crinkles".

=P
Z

Neither of my grandmas could cook worth a darn. My mom was a great cook (she''s gotten away from the more fun stuff she did when she was younger, but is still a great "comfort food" cook). But no matter what you think, when in doubt always take a comment as a compliment if there is any way possible to do it. You'll always feel happier that way, and when it is someone who is "damning with faint praise", you often will simply stymie them with their own inability to create trouble and hard feelings.

Back
Top Bottom