Meatloaf with Sage

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Scotch

Head Chef
My wife and I are big fans of meatloaf, as mundane as that may seem to many people. We have made literally dozens of different versions, and the worst was only very good.

Tonight I made Meatloaf with Sage from Marcia Adams' Heirloom Recipes, a wonderful cookbook in the author's series about traditional American cooking. It was really excellent, and the smell of the sage permeated the house.

I made a few modifications, of course, and altered the directions a bit for clarity, and here's my version of it:

Meatloaf with Sage

Meatloaf
⅔ cup dry bread crumbs
¾ cup milk
2 large eggs, beaten
¼ cup finely chopped onion
2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
¾ teaspoon dried sage
1 teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon pepper
¼ teaspoon grated nutmeg
1½ pounds lean ground beef

Sauce
3 tablespoons light brown sugar
1 teaspoon powdered mustard
⅓ teaspoon grated nutmeg
⅓ cup ketchup

1. Preheat the oven to 350° F.

2. In a medium bowl, soak the bread crumbs in the milk for about 5 minutes.

3. Add the beaten eggs, onions, Worcestershire, sage, salt, pepper, and nutmeg; mix well.

4. Add the meat and combine by hand lightly but thoroughly.

5. Transfer the mixture to a greased 9 x 5 X 3-inch loaf pan, pressing the meat mixture into the pan lightly.

6. In a small bowl, combine all sauce ingredients and mix well.

7. Spread the sauce evenly over the loaf.

8. Bake meatloaf for 90 minutes.

9. Remove from oven and allow to rest for 10 minutes.

10. Cut into slices and serve.

Your meatloaf sounds **** tasty. I just fall back on bottled Chili sauce as the topping during last minutes of cooking time.

The only other thing I add [other than your recipe] while mixing is crushed garlic and mustard powder. I omit the eggs too as I got my recipe from a Heart Association Cook Book.

Also, I use 80/20 ground beef rather than super lean. The baking sheet I use warps during baking and most of the fat runs off to the side.

80/20 hamburger seems to make a better "looser" textured meatloaf. Especially after you refridge it. At least, that's what I've found.

I have made turkey meat loaf lately. I know the meat is dry, so I add some roasted red peppers to it. Very tasty, and a little healthier. That said, I love good old fashioned meat loaf, as well.

Yum, meatloaf. The ultimate comfort food. Mom used to mix a small handfull of ground pork with the beef. Her topping was a brn. sugar, mustard and ketchup mixture. My DH hates meatloaf so I don't get to cook it often. Now I want meatloaf!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom