Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums

Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums (http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/)
-   Pork (http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f49/)
-   -   ISO Best Spiral Ham (http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f49/iso-best-spiral-ham-56186.html)

toni1948 03-16-2009 12:54 AM

ISO Best Spiral Ham

Hello Ham Lovers,

Is there a retail brand of spiral ham that you like very much? I purchased a Smithfield ham last year, and I was not pleased with it all. Do you have any recommendations?

Michael in FtW 03-16-2009 01:35 AM

Yep - you might try one from HoneyBaked Ham ... don't know where you live but if they don't have a store near you they ship. Dad got one for Christmas one year that had a lot of girstle - he took the remaining half back and they replaced it with one that was even bigger than the one he originally purchased - no questions asked.

Toots 03-16-2009 05:05 AM

Honeybaked brand is excellent but very pricey. At this past Christmas, I economized and bought an $18 Hillshire Farms brand spiral sliced ham instead of a $75 Honeybaked ham. I made my own glazea and it was quite good. I usually splurge at xmas and get the Honeybaked but this year I couldn't justify spending $75 for ham. Another brand I like in ham is Cooks. I've not tried their spiral sliced ham but the regular bone in ham is very good.

Uncle Bob 03-16-2009 09:00 AM

I would be curious why you were not pleased with the Smithfield?

I've used both the Smithfield, HoneyBaked (Over Priced IMO) and a Bryan's (I think) all were pretty good for what they are...

A little more trouble, but well worth the effort IMO is to buy an whole bone-in ham..or a butt portion. Cook (225*-250*) on your BBQ Pit/Grill.. set up for indirect heat until you get between 135*140*...Pull, double foil, and let it rest for an hour or more....Slice to your desired thickness...Scraps, bone etc. can be frozen and saved for later use as seasoning meat in vegetables, soups etc. The bone itself is a gimme to make a ham stock for Red Beans & Rice....Some people call this method of cooking..."Double Smoked"

Enjoy!

Andy M. 03-16-2009 09:09 AM

We have found the Carando spiral sliced ham to be very similar in taste to the Honey Baked brand and very tasty. Visit Carando.com . Their specialty is Italian but their hams are traditional.

Callisto in NC 03-16-2009 09:31 AM

I cannot stand ham in general. I don't eat it but if I'm going to Easter dinner and want to keep the peace, I bring a HoneyBaked ham. Basically three years ago there was a huge fight in my family when, pre-warned 3 weeks in advance, I refused to eat the generic "honey baked spiral" ham from Walmart. To avoid the fight in the future, I have taken to bringing the real thing, straight from the store. So, coming from someone who despises ham, I enjoy HoneyBaked.

toni1948 03-17-2009 02:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Bob (Post 803035)
I would be curious why you were not pleased with the Smithfield?

I've used both the Smithfield, HoneyBaked (Over Priced IMO) and a Bryan's (I think) all were pretty good for what they are...

A little more trouble, but well worth the effort IMO is to buy an whole bone-in ham..or a butt portion. Cook (225*-250*) on your BBQ Pit/Grill.. set up for indirect heat until you get between 135*140*...Pull, double foil, and let it rest for an hour or more....Slice to your desired thickness...Scraps, bone etc. can be frozen and saved for later use as seasoning meat in vegetables, soups etc. The bone itself is a gimme to make a ham stock for Red Beans & Rice....Some people call this method of cooking..."Double Smoked"

Enjoy!

Uncle Bob,

It was the texture of the ham that disappointed me. It was moist, and I brought it up to temperature slowly, but the pig that the ham came from must have been fed a diet of rubber tires. The meat was tough.

I have had Honey Baked before, and they do make a very good ham. They cost so much, though.

I heard about a company called Schaul's that has a tasty ham that was rated very good at the New York Food and Wine Show. The price isn't bad. If I get it, I promise to report back to you.

I have looked for the Cooks Hams in the stores in my neighborhood, and can't find them.

PattY1 03-17-2009 03:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by toni1948 (Post 803373)
Uncle Bob,

It was the texture of the ham that disappointed me. It was moist, and I brought it up to temperature slowly, but the pig that the ham came from must have been fed a diet of rubber tires. The meat was tough.

I have had Honey Baked before, and they do make a very good ham. They cost so much, though.

I heard about a company called Schaul's that has a tasty ham that was rated very good at the New York Food and Wine Show. The price isn't bad. If I get it, I promise to report back to you.

I have looked for the Cooks Hams in the stores in my neighborhood, and can't find them.

Exactly why I don't like or buy Spiral Cut Ham. I go for the "old fashion" ham. Sometimes I glaze it with Apricot/Mustard glaze, most times not.

Uncle Bob 03-17-2009 09:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by toni1948 (Post 803373)
Uncle Bob,

I know what you mean about the meat being tough (chewy) --- On a rare occasion or two I have run across that problem...It can be disappointing -- However I wouldn't give up on Smithfield...Their products are normally very good...As are the (Over priced IMO) Honey Baked...In my area the Cooks hams or mostly used around Holidays as "Promotional Hams" --- Front page, low price leader --- In store obvioiusly they have other pricer (better?) hams. I've never heard of the Schaul's, but I look forward to your report should you choose that route...I used to be able to buy a Bryan's Ham locally that was awesome -- Whole, Bone in, etc, that I would "double smoke" It gave me a somewhat more dense texture..Still moist and tender, but not that "mushy" "spongy" texture that some of the Water(added) Cured hams can have at times. I have enjoyed the Spirial Cut hams, but at the end of the day I"m like Miss Patty1 -- Give me the "Old Fashion" whole, bone-in ham...

Enjoy!

Loprraine 03-17-2009 09:30 AM

We buy Smithfield. We've only been disappointed with it once, that was when his cousin overcooked it.