What spatula to use on stainless steel fry pan?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

intolight

Assistant Cook
hi all,

new to the forum here and new to my stainless steel cookware. I bought a 12" Emeril fry pan and it seems pretty decent for the $.

Ok as the title implies, i'm wondering what kind of spatula is safe to use on it. I prefer those old fashioned thin metal ones, never liked the plastic ones with the thick edges we used on our old non stick cookware. And i am used to using a metal one on our cast iron, which can really get under the food.

I've used the metal one gently a couple of times and of course it left some small scratches. Is this bad? Does the surface need to be kept completely scratch free?

what do you all use?

thanks
bon appetite

Any tiny scratches made by reasonable use of metal spatulas are to be expected. Your nice shiny new pan is a tool to be used, not a museum piece.

Use any spatula that suits the task at hand. I usually use wood/bamboo or silicone. Plastic or metal less often.

thanks for the replies folks.

i don't mind scratches. It's not a cosmetic thing with me, i see them as tools too. My concern was that the directions said not to use abrasive cleansers (ajax) or abrasive scrub pads. So i thought if it's that sensitive then scratches from a metal spatula would be taboo as well.

thanks for the replies folks.

i don't mind scratches. It's not a cosmetic thing with me, i see them as tools too. My concern was that the directions said not to use abrasive cleansers (ajax) or abrasive scrub pads. So i thought if it's that sensitive then scratches from a metal spatula would be taboo as well.

I use Rescue pads from 3M when needed on my Stainless pans... never did any apparent damage. I even use them lightly on my 6 year old Emerilware nonstick and it is still in like new condition. Most of the time when I've seared something that leaves any significant gunk on the pan, I'm careful to deglaze even if I'm not making a pan sauce, but using a metal utensil or a little light scouring doesn't seem to be problem. :chef:

Back
Top Bottom