Sandra Lee's New FoodNetwork Show

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cooksie

Senior Cook
Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks - I'll have to try & catch that one.

I don't mind "parts" of her current show, so long as the "semi" part doesn't include a lot of processed foods - which it usually doesn't. But I zone out when she gets to dessert, her cocktail libations, & her decorations.

I don't mind her show, she does give me ideas, but I have to agree, she focuses alot on her "cocktails" and her table scapes. She goes lil way out on that. who wants to spend all that money on stuff to clutter the table and then you have to find storage for alll that stuff. I hate to sit at a table when there is to much clutter and you can't see your guest. I also have never like the ides of place cards, let people sit where they want. You can make a table love great with simple decorations.

Not to sound like a broken record because I am sure we've discussed this before, but the amount of processed foods she uses (that are high in sodium, fat, chemicals) is shocking. I was getting a pedicure on Saturday and the spa had the Food Network on. She made 3 dishes - and I think I counted 4 cans of soup between 3 recipes PLUS a Lipton's dried soup mix. Hello?!! That is enough sodium to kill a camel.
Plus she just annoys me in a thousand different ways. I know some folks like her, so I'll just [try to] shut up now.

Sandra Lee makes a common practice of using sub standard ingredients. I expect nothing different from the new offering.

i like/dislike aspects of her older show. it's tacky. i watch it, love the cheerful music, so i'll give her new show a glance as i would with most other show. if i like it, i like it, if not, then i'll watch another show.

Sandra Lee...I can take her or leave her. I'm a visual person and I find all the clutter and "styling" of the set puts me on edge. I also do decorating for a living and sometimes she and/or her staff go a little over the top with their table scapes and the set designs.

I haven't seen many episodes of her former show but I will view the new one a time or two just to be fair. At this point, the jury's still out.

i will watch new show. i often see the currant one. she has a good idea or two, or she gives me one of my own. all is not lost, just don't watch the parts u don't like. course i try never to watch emerial
lol

I certainly have no use for her current show, and things like her infamous Kwanzaa Cake make me gag.

However, she is supposedly a Cordon-Bleu-trained chef, so I'm willing to give her the benefit of the doubt. Maybe her old semi-cooking show was just her way of finding a niche until she got a better gig.

However, she is supposedly a Cordon-Bleu-trained chef, so I'm willing to give her the benefit of the doubt.

Lee is quite proud of the fact that she dropped out of Le Cordon Bleu after about two weeks deciding "I knew it just wasn't for me." As a matter of fact, I believe the course she attempted was held at a satellite location.

Let me fully disclose here...When I found out that there was a show that purported to teach "shortcuts" in the kitchen, the cook inside me pictured a savior to make real cooking quicker and tastier. I watched my first ep of Semi-Homemade with high hopes. These hopes were dashed as I watched Lee dump a can of chicken rice soup into the stuffing in a roast chicken - where it really wasn't performing a "short cut" worth tolerating the salty concentrated soup's affect on the taste of the resulting dish.

The necessity of using heavily salted, heavily chemical-preserved food in the name of "express" cooking is a misleading fallacy. Lee's aversion for the feeling and aroma of fresh garlic on her fingers only dictates she should concentrate on um...inexpensive curtains and bric a brac in rooms other than the kitchen.

There are plenty of healthy shortcuts to be had in a pantry that would hardly be considered that of a food snob. Canned beans; a selection of pastas; a selection of canned tomatoes in a variety of cuts; chicken and beef stocks by good companies like Kitchen Basics and Pacific; olive oils and vinegars; even peeled whole garlic cloves are a path to wonderful dinners. These products don't contain a great deal of preservatives, letting natural flavors shine through. And you get to take 100% of the credit.

Here's a tip you can use. If you're coming into a heavy cooking season - a cluster of birthdays, holidays, etc., grab whole peeled garlic cloves from Sam's or Costco (or BJ's or whatever is near you). Dump them all out into a big steel bowl. Wipe out the container. Fold a full sized paper towel in half, then half again. Line the bottom of the garlic container with the paper towel. Pour in 1/4 of the garlic cloves. Fold another paper towel in the same way and place it on top of the garlic cloves. Pour in another 1/4 of the garlic cloves. Repeat until container is full and make sure there is a paper towel right under the lid. You may have garlic cloves left in the bowl. Fold a paper towel and line a mason jar. Pour in remaining garlic cloves, then screw on the lid. Use the cloves in the mason jar first, then move onto the garlic in the original container.

You don't need a family the size of the Waltons to make this a worthwhile purchase. BF and I are TWO people and though we entertain a bit, we go through the garlic pretty quickly. I've found this shortcut item to be indispensable around the holidays.

Lee is quite proud of the fact that she dropped out of Le Cordon Bleu after about two weeks deciding "I knew it just wasn't for me." As a matter of fact, I believe the course she attempted was held at a satellite location.
That seems inconsistent with her "full bio" on The Food Network's website, which includes this paragraph:
Lee then attended the world's leading culinary art institute, Le Cordon Bleu. She learned how to apply her Semi-Homemade® philosophy and savvy shortcuts towards gourmet recipes so that every over-extended homemaker could create and savor delicious dishes at home in less time and at a fraction of the cost. Since then, Sandra has become a New York Times best-selling author and has written sixteen cooking and entertaining books including four published in 2008. She has sold more than 2.3 million books since 2005 and has been awarded the prestigious International French Gourmand Award for Best Easy Cookbook.

Tomorrow is the first episode of Sandra Lee's new show. She says that she can show you how to save 30 to 40 percent on your grocery bill :ermm:. I can't imagine that. Her new kitchen is vveerrrryyy nice! Lol--they finally gave her a gas cooktop :cool:.

I have it set to record. I'll watch just out of curiosity but I don't anticipate it being much different than her Semi-Digestible show.

Back
Top Bottom