"Era Favorite" Foods that Hang On....and On....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cooksie

Senior Cook
Onion Dip, the one where you simply mix a packet of Lipton onion soup mix with sour cream, became popular in the 1950's. I still do that dip today, and I still love it. What are some more of the "era favorites" that have surpassed the test of time that we still do today? I know fondue from the 70's has made a comeback lately, especially in the restaurants.

Hamburger Pie ~ hamburger meat, green beans, tomato sauce topped with potatoes. My mother's mother made it for her, my mother made it for us, I make it for my daughter. It's a great winter comfort food.

Well...during the "holidays," there's always the ever-prevalent green bean casserole. And, believe it or not, I had it for the first time 2 years ago. I've been cooking for over 50 years and I'd never had it or prepared it. So I made it for Thanksgiving dinner for Buck and me two years ago. Not bad, but a bit salty for my taste. Not surprising, though, since everything in it are commercial products.

I will have to experiment with making my own version, which would be very easy. However, I wouldn't sacrifice the canned French-fried onions. I do like those.

Green bean casserole has got to be the All-American favorite casseroles of all time. Try to skip that one at Thanksgiving :angry:.

Tuna noodle casserole. I ate enough of that as a young married that I have zero interest in ever eating it again. It got even worse when the cafeteria at work started serving 'Tuna Tettrazini'.

How about chex mix? The one that you bake using lots of butter and worchestershire sauce? I think it has celery salt in it too. I used to make it every Christmas, but can't get the chex cereals here....yummm. I love it.

How about chex mix? The one that you bake using lots of butter and worchestershire sauce? I think it has celery salt in it too. I used to make it every Christmas, but can't get the chex cereals here....yummm. I love it.
Okay, somebody send a care package to Karen, stat!

I'm going north in June - I think I'll try to bring some back with me. Of course, luggage is really restricted these days - hate to pay $50 for a suitcase full of chex cereal! Oh well, gotta keep your priorities straight, right?

Hot dogs and baked beans. We had that dish just about every Saturday growing up. My grandkids love the hot dogs cut up in the baked beans.

Sausage balls made with Bisquick

Tollhouse cookies (probably the oldest cookie recipe that is still very popular)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom