Splitting Ladyfingers or splitting headache?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Posy

Assistant Cook
Hi all, some advice would be greatly appreciated. I made Tiramisu for the second time yesterday and it wasn't very pretty but tasted great. My problem is that the recipe requires splitting the ladyfingers in half lengthwise. I have tried different knives, tried before and after brushing with liquid etc. They always fall apart. I still use the 'pieces' but is there a secret I am not in on? I tried googling it, but all the links were for recipes that required it and none I could see, actually had advice on how to do it!

I have tried two brands: Vicenzovo and Savoiardi.

Thanks so much in advance! This is my first post, I am only a year cooking, but you are all a great group so I feel pretty comfortable doing this but if I have done anything wrong on it let me know! ;)

Hmmm...pretty crumbly beasties aren't they? Did you use a serrated knife? That is the first trick, the second is a quick zap in the microwave with a damp paper towel. That might help too.

I tried both your suggestions on some spare ladyfingers I had left over, and there was a lot less crumbling. The microwave trick particularly seemed to help! Thanks Alix!

I am with Andy, why would you split the ladyfingers. Just dip and layer, I do that all the time and it works really well. If you need them shorter, it's easier to break them then to split them.

I get them in position in the serving dish and then I brush on the liquid with a pastry brush..rather awkward but it works
kadesma

I would agree with those that are saying not to split the lady fingers... the recipe I always use does not require them to be split.. and doesn't really make sense to either since you have to soak them in coffee and they get soggy fast... I would up the ratio of cream to cookie if it seems that they are dominating the dessert. Yum, I love tiramisu!

Back
Top Bottom