How long do dressings last?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

1StarRestaurant

Assistant Cook
Can you make dressings in advance and keep it refrigerated for long? This one takes too much time to make each time.... :glare:

Ingredients:

• 1/2 cup plain fat-free yogurt
  • 1/4 cup reduced-fat mayonnaise
  • 2 tablespoons chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
  • 3 tablespoons chopped green onions
  • 1 tablespoon chopped fresh chives
  • 3 tablespoons white wine vinegar
  • 2 teaspoons anchovy paste
  • 1 teaspoon chopped fresh tarragon
  • 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
  • 1/8 teaspoon salt
  • 1 garlic clove, minced
So, the yogurt doesn't last too long, and the fresh greens probably don't either, but after you mix them all together, does it some how make them all last a little longer? (Might be a stupid question but I'm curious...)

The yogurt should be good until the use by date on the conatiner you bought it. As for herbs, they do loose their freshness over time, but I am not sure how much that would affect the taste of the dressing. So I think the only thing you need to worry about going bad is the yogurt. As for how long you can keep it, I am not 100% sure. I would say it would last for a week. I might do a taste test. Make a batch and taste it every day. You should be able to taste, see, and smell when it goes bad.

If you're usning less than fresh ingredients, combining them won't magically extend their useful life.

As foods, fresh herbs for example, go from fresh to wilted to rotting over time. Mixing old herbs with other foods will most likely speed up the process rather than buy you more time. Mayonnaise is one of bacteria's favorite foods.

I might do a taste test. Make a batch and taste it every day. You should be able to taste, see, and smell when it goes bad.
The problem with that is that every time you open the container, you let air in and air leads to spoilage. Based on what you have listed, I wouldn't give it a week. Green onions alone only last a few days once cut. Unfortunately, I would say this is a dressing that is only viable a couple of days.

I have never been able to make my dressings more than half an hour.. i am very poor in that... any advice for me???

That sounds like a delicious salad dressing - alot like the homemade "ranch" dressing I make. One of things I do to extend the life a bit is to use dried herbs instead of fresh. Even so, a week is about tops before using it up.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom