New Sushi

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hmmmmm..tough one Sushi! I am a big fan of cucumber and that egg pancake thing in my sushi. Have you tried going to an Asian market and looking at some of the produce? I know that sushi is all about the fish, but I think I would like to try it with some thinly sliced beef and some sesame sauce. I think that would be awesome.

Tuna teriyaki sushi roll - just a can of the best 'canned' tuna you can find - mix with your fave teriyaki sauce, some cucumber for crunch, and roll it up. Easy - and cheap, too!

Or there's always Spam sushi! :LOL:

This may sound silly but is there any type of sushi that uses fruit like melons, strawberries, etc? I realize that would probably clash with the slight vinegar taste in the rice, perha[s something else could be used? :?

I don't see why the fruit idea wouldn't work. Maybe a raspberry vinegar (or even bottled vinegarette) instead of rice vinegar.

If you also use sugar for the rice as well as the vinegar, as many sushi recipes do, you may find that the tartness of the strawberries complements it quite well.

While not quite the same, one of the most delicious combinations is strawberries and balsamic vinegar.

I have made strawberry and cream cheese rolls, kiwi and cream cheese, melon and cilantro rolls - I still even dip these in a little soy sauce - really good!!!!

I like salmon (not smoked) with lots of cilantro and some cream cheese - or just the salmon and cilantro is good too.

When I eat sushi I really crave the raw fish so it would be hard for me to come up with suggestions other than the fruit above. We actually went to a Chinese buffet - there were HOT DOGS in the sushi and it was gross! LOL

Well inspired by ceviche I love using shirmp (or octopus), cucomber and jalapenyo or jalapenyo relish when I've got it on hand. Also a great spicy sauce that changes your sushi completely is using that thai chili and garlic paste mixed in with mayo.

Another favorite of mine is making sushi rice balls and pouring a little bit of "botanita" (a mexican lime based hot sauce) in the middle making tart and spicy rice balls. Btw you can find botanita or something like it in the hispanic section, goya puts it out. Spicy/tangy plum candy goes great in the rice balls too.

A wierder one my mother used to make is breading the futomaki roll (it was always an inside out roll) with panko bread crumbs and frying it so the outside is crispy. The inside was usually a california roll or something.

Btw Elf, I love your idea of making rolls using melon or strawberry with cream chese. I need to try this some time.

Edit: had another couple of ideas as soon as I posted. Ever had thai or filipino style sticky rice with mango? Use coconut milk instead of rice vinagre for the sushi rice and put mango slices inside if you roll it or even better nigiri style with a sliver of mango topping the delicious rice. Heck, you could even pour a dab of mirin or sweet white wine and it would be great. Also if you want to skip the rice I sometimes hollow out a cucomber, fill it with imitation crab and mayo salad with shredded nori and sometimes some raw onion if Im the only one who will be eating it. It makes a great sushilike presentation.

Claire said:
Hey, PSI, ever been to the Paniolo Grill and had rattlesnake chili? I'm sure it is long gone!

Nope. The only times I ever had rattle snake, it was with my crazy cousin and his in-laws. Always deep fried.

theres a sushi place in mclean, near where i live they have a jalepeno fried type sushi with cheese and some beef and call it a mexican roll. I would haveta say that resturant has the most interesting sushi

When my parents visited us in Hawaii, I introduced Dad to sushi. Now, when and wherever he visits us he wants "Shusi". He won't go by himself (in spite of there being a decent sushi bar in Daytona, it's mostly that we are the only ones who like it .... not true, my sister LOVES it, it just must not occur to her to treat Dad to it). It is one of the flavors I most miss about living in Galena. To get it I have to go to Madison, Chicago, or the QC. But when I'm going to spend a couple hours on the road, I have to be judicial about food. Indian? Middle eastern? So I haven't had "Shusi" for almost a year. Bring on that California roll (my favorite!!!).

Back
Top Bottom