Mashed Cauliflower - Have you ever done this?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Callisto in NC

Washing Up
I watch The Biggest Loser because I'm an Ali Sweeney fan and the other night one of the "trainer tips" to get more veggies in your diet was to replace mashed potatoes with mashed cauliflower. Has anyone ever made mashed cauliflower?

Cauliflower Fauxtatoes

I find that I like them better if I don't try to imagine them as potatoes... but my recipe from a friend is called
Cauliflower Fauxtatoes
1 large head cauliflower
1 (4-ounce) package cream cheese, softened
½ cup Parmesan cheese
1 tablespoon butter
¼ teaspoon garlic powder
salt and pepper to taste
3 green onions, chopped
Parmesan cheese (optional)

Cut cauliflower into florets and steam until soft. Drain thoroughly. Place warm florets in food processor with cream cheese, Parmesan cheese, butter, garlic powder and salt and pepper. Process until smooth, then stir in green onions. Place mixture in small casserole dish which has been sprayed with cooking spray. Sprinkle with freshly grated Parmesan cheese if desired. Bake at 350 or heat in microwave and serve.
Serves 4 to 6.

I find that I like them better if I don't try to imagine them as potatoes... but my recipe from a friend is called
Cauliflower Fauxtatoes
1 large head cauliflower
1 (4-ounce) package cream cheese, softened
½ cup Parmesan cheese
1 tablespoon butter
¼ teaspoon garlic powder
salt and pepper to taste
3 green onions, chopped
Parmesan cheese (optional)

Cut cauliflower into florets and steam until soft. Drain thoroughly. Place warm florets in food processor with cream cheese, Parmesan cheese, butter, garlic powder and salt and pepper. Process until smooth, then stir in green onions. Place mixture in small casserole dish which has been sprayed with cooking spray. Sprinkle with freshly grated Parmesan cheese if desired. Bake at 350 or heat in microwave and serve.
Serves 4 to 6.

How can you go wrong with cream cheese and garlic?! Sounds delicious.

Years ago, I did the Atkins diet and ate lots of mashed cauliflower. The diet worked great - I lost 40 pounds and kept (most of) it off. The cauliflower recipe Sharon posted is pretty close to the one I used, and it is delicious.

I've done the same! I love mashed cauliflower. If you REALLY want to take it to a different level roast it first. Expect little lumps as it's really hard to get creamy...oh, and expect it to taste like cauliflower :mrgreen:

it might play around with your stomach; don't know if i can be more specific than that here.

mashed! with lots of butter and salt and pepper.....to die for!!!!....lol
And you can always use "Beano"
Exactly.

The recipe listed is great and has all things I love but it sure doesn't sound like a "healthy" alternative. Maybe compared to potatoes but cream cheese and butter certainly isn't low cal. It does sound good though. Look forward to trying this and seeing if I can slip it past DD.

I use one package of frozen cauliflower. steam and smash it with 2 wedges of laughing cow (about 35 cals. each) a dash of milk (i like mine really smooth) 1/4 cup of shredded cheddar and garlic salt & pepper to taste. It's super fast and the dh loves it.

I watch The Biggest Loser because I'm an Ali Sweeney fan and the other night one of the "trainer tips" to get more veggies in your diet was to replace mashed potatoes with mashed cauliflower. Has anyone ever made mashed cauliflower?

I have but I think Sharon's recipe is not what Ali had in mind. It looks delicious, but much higher in fat (and taste:ROFLMAO:) than the one I use.

4 cups Cauliflower
1-2 TBS of a butter type spread (I like the one with canola oil)
2 TBS fat free half & half
salt
Pepper

Steam Cauliflower till very soft. Put in food processor with the rest. Adjust to taste by adding more or any of the above.

It will taste more like mashed potatoes but the "mouth feel" is not quite the same.

You are right about the calories and fat, Callisto - that's why it fit in with the Atkins diet...lots of fat, no carbs. We all know better now - right? It was fun while it lasted.

I have but I think Sharon's recipe is not what Ali had in mind.
Ali's the host, not the trainer. This came from the Trainer Tips that Jillian and Bob give. But having seen Ali 6 weeks post baby, I think she's listening to whatever Jillian tells her to do, probably including eating steamed mashed califlower.

You are right about the calories and fat, Callisto - that's why it fit in with the Atkins diet...lots of fat, no carbs. We all know better now - right? It was fun while it lasted.

Ah. Knowing carbs are a big problem, a higher protein diet for me might be good. I admit, I love the fact that Adkins allows "salami and cream cheese" as a meal. I love that combo. I love cream cheese in all forms. :angel:

Callisto said:
I love the fact that Adkins allows "salami and cream cheese" as a meal. I love that combo. I love cream cheese in all forms. :angel:

Oh me too! In fact, the Atkins diet worked for me and my cholesterol did not increase, either. Of course, you can't eat that way forever. Sigh.

Back
Top Bottom