RH Forschner by Victorinox

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chef Munky

Honey Badger
A few years ago I needed new chef knives.Our Butcher recommended this brand it's what he uses in his shop.

Victorinox Swiss Army - Cutlery - Rosewood 3-piece set

The craftsmanship on those is outstanding.The handles are tough,but lightweight, I don't really feel the weight of the handles.I let the blade do it's job.
My wrists don't get tired after cutting up raw meat or veggies.
Keeping them honed is a breeze.Sometimes I think the sharpness of them could be toned down just a bit.They are extremely sharp and stay sharp.
My husband tunes mine up once a month.I use them every day.

I have that set,plus a few others,they all fit into my old block it's just a standard one.Nothing fancy.

The knives aren't exactly cheap,but they are well worth every dime.

Munky.

$127 doesn't seem too expensive for a 3 piece set.

They have a very good reputation - America's Test Kitchen
regularly rates this model as a best buy - comparing very favorably
with knives 4X the price. Victorinox Swiss Army - Cutlery - 10" Chef’s/slicer&

I wish I had an excuse to buy one but I have been using a
9" Chinese Knife from Dexter Russell for many years and
I use it almost exclusively - well pleased with its' performance.

I recently bought two of this brand through amazon for a good price. I am very pleased with the chef's knife and the paring knives.

A few years ago I needed new chef knives.Our Butcher recommended this brand it's what he uses in his shop.

Victorinox Swiss Army - Cutlery - Rosewood 3-piece set

The craftsmanship on those is outstanding.The handles are tough,but lightweight, I don't really feel the weight of the handles.I let the blade do it's job.
My wrists don't get tired after cutting up raw meat or veggies.
Keeping them honed is a breeze.Sometimes I think the sharpness of them could be toned down just a bit.They are extremely sharp and stay sharp.
My husband tunes mine up once a month.I use them every day.

I have that set,plus a few others,they all fit into my old block it's just a standard one.Nothing fancy.

The knives aren't exactly cheap,but they are well worth every dime.

Munky.

In my recent issue of Cook's Country the Forschner Victorinox Fibrox 8" was the highest rated bargain chef's knife at $25.33. The next 2 runners (Wusthoff Gourmet and MAC Chef) up were nearly twice as expensive and didn't perform as well in all the tests.

In my recent issue of Cook's Country the Forschner Victorinox Fibrox 8" was the highest rated bargain chef's knife at $25.33. The next 2 runners (Wusthoff Gourmet and MAC Chef) up were nearly twice as expensive and didn't perform as well in all the tests.

I love CI but I can't comprehend how they did their tests!:ROFLMAO: I own several Fibrox knives as well as Henckels, Wusthofs, Messermeisters and a slew of J-knives and I certainly wouldn't rate the Forschners up there with the best. Sure, good for the money but if you were going to give me the knife I'd much rather have a Mac or Messermeister.

I'va had a few Forschners for around 50 years. Even though I now use mostly use laminated VG 10 Japanese knives, the Forschners still live on my counter, and get regular use. They were the knife of choice where I worked years ago in a packing house. I especially like the Rosewood handles. Not the quality of the Japanese knives, but not the price either. IMO, they are probably the best entry level knives.

Three additional notes: IMO the three kinves listed will do almost all the kitchen cutting you will need, and the $127 price can probably be beaten by shopping around. I'd try SMKW first. I also would look at an edgemaker pro sharpener as an easy to use way to keep them reasonable sharp,

Back
Top Bottom