Kitchen Remodeling

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

recipedirect

Senior Cook
I've picked the appliances and now I'm trying to pick some cabinets. Has anyone had experience with Lowes, Home Depot or Sears? I also have a cabinet maker giving me an estimate but it will probably out of the ballpark.

Liz

Check around at the different cabinet shops. I had a fellow in my store that said he had a ton of stock at his shop that he was almost giving away. He was loosing thousands of dollars every month because the housing market went flat.

Check out all the small shops around your area before you consider HD, Lowes, etc. You may get a MUCH better cabinet for a great price.

I had Lowes do my Corian counters and sinks, a local guy do the plumbing, and, because I wanted to maintain my 40s era cabinets, another local carpenter come in and do some interior carpentry while maintaining the exterior look (in other words, new shelves and drawer boxes while maintaining old cabinet and drawer fronts). Oh, my stove is from Sears because my gas lines have been declared unsafe and having them replaced would be prohibitive. The gas co took care of anything dangerous. So it was a flat top electric stove, top of the line at the time, and I have no regrets (me and Edith Pilaf). To be honest with you, around here hiring locally is usually considerably more expensive than going through Lowes or Sears or whatever, but I suppose that's because there are a lot of rich people with old homes that need remodelling. I still need walls and floor work, but baby steps.

I am in the final stages of getting estimates from Home Depot, Sears and a local cabinet maker. What a project! I need a new cooktop, oven, refrigerator. I've picked out the cooktop and ovens both which will be Kenmore Pro. The gas cooktop is a Kenmore Pro and every bit as nice and has more features than a Viking or Wolf and at least $1,000 less. I'm leaning toward Kraftmade Cabinets from Home Depot.Thanks for the replys

Liz

Back
Top Bottom