ISO Sub for Capers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mayor

Assistant Cook
What would be a good sub for capers? The recipe calls for 1 Tablespoon of crushed capers. I've never cooked with them before. The recipe is a
dijon mustard recipe for pork chops. Can I use some other spice? Something that would go with the mustard, lemon juice, and bread crumbs? Thanks, Dave.

You got me. Capers are pretty uniquely flavored and I simply can't think of a sub. If I were desperate I might crush up a green olive and add some peppery flavor. I'm just not sure what you could use. Sorry Mayor.

There really is no sub. Do you just not want to use them because you never have before? Why not try them? They are great. Otherwise just leave them out of the recipe.

You must try them if you haven't. Capers take chicken scaloppine to a whole new level.

I googled and found that pickled nasturtium buds are an inexpensive substitute for capers. :ROFLMAO:
Now THOSE are always on hand.

I googled and found that pickled nasturtium buds are an inexpensive substitute for capers. :ROFLMAO:
Now THOSE are always on hand.

Yep...I bought 3 big jars last time I was in Germantown :LOL:

Use the capers Mayor...I just ate a couple of teaspoons in a lemon/butter/garlic/caper sauce on a piece of fish....Yum!!

If you like a mild tartness to certain things you will love capers. They burst in your mouth making the meat or pasta or whatever you've put them in rich with flavor. We love them, I have to watch one of the grand kids he will get them out and eat them like olives...:LOL:

kadesma

Guy's thanks for all the replies! The reason I didn't use capers and was looking for a sub. is I did not have any. It sounds like I would like them from all of the comments on here. I love green olives. I fixed the pork chops without the capers, with just the dijon, lemon juice, and bread crumbs. It tasted good, but I bet it would have tasted better with the crushed capers! I'll buy some and try the chops again later. Are maybe Uncle Bob would be kind enough to give me his sauce recipe to try? What section of the store would I find capers, spice section? Are do they come in a jar, just like olives? Ahh, don't have to cook tonight! My son just called, and he is going to take the Wife & I out this evening for dinner! It's our 27th anniversary. I knew I did something right raising him!:LOL: Anyway, thanks for all the replies, I really appreicate it. Dave L.

Happy Anniversary!

Capers generally come in a jar. I find them with the pickles and olives or in the Italian section of my supermarket.

Green Peppercorns would work great with the other ingredients. I fell in love with capers when traveling in Greece. I put capers in about anything!

Back
Top Bottom