Can I put 1/2 frozen chicken into crock pot?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sherifffruitfly

Senior Cook
Hi all,

I'm gonna slowcook me some chicken cacciatore, and don't feel like waiting for the chicken to finish thawing. Can I safely toss it (and all the other ingreds) in the cooker and let 'er rip for 7 hours?

Or does it truly need to be fully thawed before going in the cooker?

Thanks!

If it is a big block of solid chicken. I wouldn't do it. If the pieces are pretty small, than go for it. But it would be best if the chicken were thawed.

I don't think its safe to do that. I would either microwave or par boil the chicken before I put it in the crockpot. Good luck!

I do an entire chicken straight from the freezer (make sure no loose stuff inside). Also great for Cornish Game Hens because I always forget to defrost them in advance. The slow cooker seems to bring it up to temperature fast enough to defrost and cook without any problems.

LOL - a lot depends on your slow cooker! Some will say you can use frozen chicken (if you use the high setting) - some say no way José. Read the instructions that came with your cooker - they will tell you what is safe, and how to do it if possible, in your particular "pot". If your instructions specify only using "thawed" chicken - then no, it would not be safe.

Last edited:
I do an entire chicken straight from the freezer (make sure no loose stuff inside). Also great for Cornish Game Hens because I always forget to defrost them in advance. The slow cooker seems to bring it up to temperature fast enough to defrost and cook without any problems.
That's what I do all the time. I recently read that it is perfectly acceptable to put frozen chicken in the crockpot and allow it to defrost there. I've never had a problem so I say go for it.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom