Lasagna

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

msmofet

Chef Extraordinaire
Lasagna

1 lb sweet Italian sausage - removed from casing and crumbled
1 lb lean ground beef
1 medium Onion - chopped fine - divided
5 cloves Fresh garlic - chopped fine - divided
1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
2 (6 ounce) cans tomato paste
1 cup red wine
28 oz. water
1 tablespoon sugar
Fresh basil - chopped fine - divided
Fresh oregano - chopped fine - divided
Fresh parsley - chopped fine - divided
Garlic powder
Onion powder
Adobo seasoning
Accent (or MSG)
Salt and Ground black pepper
Ground hot pepper flakes
1 (8 oz) box Oven ready lasagna noodles or traditional lasagna noodles
1 1/2 lb ricotta cheese
1 raw egg - beaten
Salt
Ground black pepper
4 oz. Can mushrooms - stems and pieces; drained
1 lb. Mozzarella cheese - shredded - divided
1/2 lb. Grated Romano - divided
1/2 lb. Grated Parmesan cheese - divided
2 Hard boiled eggs - peeled and cubed - optional - in layers (my mom always put them in)

In a Dutch oven, cook sausage, ground beef, 1/2 of the onion and garlic and spices to taste over medium heat until well browned.

In pot sauté the other half of the onion and garlic in olive oil. Stir in crushed tomatoes, tomato paste, wine and water. Season with sugar, basil, oregano, parsley, salt, pepper and hot pepper flakes to taste. Simmer, covered, for about 1 1/2 hours, stirring occasionally. Add more wine and/or water if necessary.

If using traditional noodles: Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Cook lasagna noodles in boiling water for 8 to 10 minutes. Stir frequently. Drain noodles, and rinse with cold water.

In a mixing bowl, combine ricotta cheese, raw egg, parsley, salt, black pepper, 1/2 lb. mozzarella cheese, 1/4 lb. Romano cheese and 1/4 lb. Parmesan cheese; mix well.

Preheat oven to 375°F.

To assemble: Spread enough sauce to cover the bottom of a 9x13x3 inch baking dish. Arrange 3 oven ready noodles crosswise in pan, not touching each other or the sides of pan (boiled noodles lengthwise) over sauce. Spread with 1/3 of the ricotta cheese mixture. Then 1/3 of the meat and 1/3 of the mushrooms. Top with 1/3 of the remaining mozzarella, 1/3 of the remaining Romano cheese, 1/3 of the remaining parmesan cheese. Spread sauce over mozzarella to cover. Repeat layers ending with noodles, and top with a layer of sauce and remaining mozzarella, Romano and Parmesan cheeses. Cover with non-stick foil: to prevent sticking, or spray regular foil with cooking spray, or make sure the foil does not touch the cheese.

Bake in preheated oven for 30 minutes. Remove foil, and bake an additional 20 minutes. Let stand for 15 minutes to set before serving.

For our first date, my husband made me lasagna. He used hamburger, Italian sausage, and pepperoni. He also used a ton of cheese, mozzerella, parmesan, and probably cheddar (maybe monterey jack). He used a canned spaghetti sauce. Also had diced red and green peppers. It wasn't fancy, but it was impressive. I remember him coming by the dorm to pick me up (junior year of college, that fall) and he was wearing white bell-bottoms, and a white hippy shirt (bell sleeves, front "yoke", v-neck, big collar).
yep, that was 29 years, 8 months ago....
still married.
I make the lasagna now, but he prefers his. I prefer his, too, if that means he's cooking for me.

thank you. everyone. yup i remember bell bottoms and dashiki shirts and my mocs!!

Back
Top Bottom