Venison Casserole Recipe - how to make better?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jeni78

Senior Cook
Hi, BF has a bunch of ground venison and I'd like to make a casserole with some of it.

I found a recipe:

1 lb. ground venison
1 lg. onion, chopped
1 med. bell pepper
1 clove garlic
1 can tomato soup
1 can cream of mushroom soup
1 can Cheddar cheese soup
1 sm. pkg. spaghetti

cheese
Brown meat, onions, pepper and garlic. Drain well. Cook spaghetti. Mix soups together, then add meat and spaghetti. Top with cheese.
Note: May use lean ground beef instead of venison and you may also substitute macaroni for spaghetti.

The recipe seems a little boring to me...I haven't tried it yet. Any thoughts on making it better? I thought maybe adding a little curry powder...?

I know it's just a casserole but I want it to be good seeing as how I won't be eating much of it (don't live with bf).

Thanks!

How about Venison Lasagna?

Ingredients:

1 lb. of venison ( you can use 1/2 venison and 1/2 ground beef or Italian Sausage)
1/2 cup of chopped onion
2 cloves of garlic
2 - 28 ounce can of crushed tomatoes
1 - 6 ounce can of tomato paste
2 teaspoons of dried basil, crushed
2 teaspoons of dried oregano, crushed
1/2 teaspoon of salt
1/2 teaspoon of pepper
1 box of lasagna noodles
1 beaten egg
2 cups of ricotta cheese
1/2 cup of parmesan cheese
1 tablespoon of parsley flakes
1 - 4 cup bag of shredded mozzarella cheese​

Heat oven to 375 degrees. For meat sauce, brown venison and onions. Add garlic to meat and simmer until meat in brown and onion is tender. Drain fat. Stir in the tomatoes, tomato paste, basil and oregano and sugar. salt and pepper to taste. Bring to a boil and then simmer for 30 minutes.
Meanwhile, cook the lasagna noodles according to the package directions and drain.
For filling, add the beaten egg to the ricotta cheese and 1/4 cup of the parmesan cheese and the parsley. Gently fold together. Layer half of the cooled noodles in the bottom of a 9 x 13 baking dish. Spread with half of the ricotta cheese filling. Top with half of the venison meat sauce and then half of the mozzarella cheese. Repeat the entire process. Sprinkle the remaining parmesan cheese on top.
Bake in a 375 degree oven for 45 to 60 minutes or until heated through.​

Liz :chef:

Add more garlic. Maybe some oregano. Salt and pepper will help too. Serve with hot sauce to be added by the diners. This is pretty close to a deer camp staple.

Thanks so much!

I did use the recipe, added more garlic and salt and pepper. It worked really well!

I think a chopped tomato would be nice too...

Thanks for the lasagna Liz! I'm not a big lasagna eater but every now and then I like it.

Lynan, that is a really good link, thank you!
I asked my son to thaw some venison steaks tonight. Once he set the microwave I said, What speed do you have it set at. He replies "MACH 4".
He's funny.
I really like venison because it is so lean. I sometimes add ground fatty pork to give it a little fat but I always enjoy a really lean small bit of venison in a meal. Tonight we are baking some fanned potatoes to go with the venison.

Back
Top Bottom