New here - need advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

caviman2201

Assistant Cook
Hi to all - I'm new here and I would like some cutlery advice. I am trying to purchase a new, small number block set for my new house for around $100-$150, the lower the better. I found a Henckels TWIN Signature 7-piece for $109 and a Henckels International Forged Synergy 13-piece for $140. Numbers aside, would you folks say the low-end TWIN knife with its FRIODUR treatment, but stamped design be better or worse than the high-end International knife without the FRIODUR but forged design?

Thanks in advance for any info.

Welcome to DC.

I think you have the values wrong. The Twin Signature line is a higher grade knife than the International Forged Synergy.

If you look at the logos on the knife blades, you will see the Twin has a two stick figure logo while the Int'l Forged has a single stick figure logo. This is how Henckels identifies its better and budget lines.

That being said, I would recommend you don't buy the set but look for 3-4 knives good quality knives will handle all your needs.

I'd go with an 8" Chef's knife, an 8" to 10" serrated bread knife and a 4" paring knife. Beyond that, a boning knife might be a good idea if you plan on doing a lot of boning. A santoku style knife may be good if you want a lighter knife to do a lot of veggies.

I meant that the Forged Synergy was "high-end" within their International line and the TWIN Signature was "low-end" within their TWIN line. TWIN being premium while International is value.

Even if I weren't to buy a block set, which of those two, International Forged Synergy (forged) or TWIN Signature (stamped, FRIODUR) would you buy?

Keep in mind, I'm by no means a chef - I just want a nice set that looks nice in the kitchen, holds a good edge, resists stains/rust/etc.

Between the two Henkels lines I'd go with the Twin, assuming it's made with a better quality steel. Forged knives aren't automatically better than stamped knives.

Bottom line, I'd also consider other brands and go by how comfortable the different knives are in my hand.

I have actually held both - I like both equally. You told me what I needed to know - a well-made stamped knife with a good heat treatment can be as good and/or better than a forged knife.

I own a block of Henckels five star classic knives. I use the Chef knife and the paring knife. I have never used any of the other knives (but I just use pre-sliced bread). I've had the set for about ten years now. I use the Chef knife about 95% of the time. I use the paring knife more as a compliment to the Chef knife like cutting out potatoe eyes.

For the price you're looking at you can get some lower maintenance Japanese knives like the Tojiro DP Gyuto for $50. I got my Kuhn Rikon Japanese steel paring knife for $7 at Marshal's. You could even pick up a very good bread knife at Marchal's for about $10 to $20 if you feel you have to have one.

The novelty of having a nice "showy" knife set will quickly wear off and what you'll be left with are very nice knives, better than what you've mentioned. Your wallet will also like the savings.

I'm with Bladerunner - I never bought a set of knives and
make do with an 8" Chinese knife by Dexter Russell and a
paring knife - these 2 are used for 95%(or more) of my knife work.

I hone on a stone (poem there?) and when they are too dull
have a pro. sharpen them.

Back
Top Bottom