Something to think about

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
thanks for posting...

this reminds me of one of the more influential books I read as a child, Hidden Persuaders, by Vance Packard....it's amazing how much of that book has stuck with me....same type of info was in that book..

Interesting, but hardly "dirty" or "secret," I thought everybody knew this. It's called marketing.
When reading labels, be sure to check serving size. Sometimes breads will list 2 slices as a serving size. There is a wide range of "whole wheat" products, some have no more fiber than a fluffy white loaf. And speaking of bread, I've been able to purchase the frozen product from the bakery, not a widespread practice, but I asked. it was for a specialty, artisan bread. Then baked it at home.
As for deli salads... well, I just don't! : )

None of the topics were a surprise to me. I've been aware of them for a long, long time. And, I'm one of those rare people who always shops with a list and hardly, if ever, stray from it. I'm a very disciplined shopper.

I wrote a column a number of years ago about the reduced packaging/same price situation. It's sometimes difficult to find the old-fashioned 1-pound package of bacon, the 3-pound can of ground coffee, 16-ounce can of fruit/vegetables, etc. All those have been significantly reduced in size but remained at the same, or higher, price.

Back
Top Bottom