Practically Candied my Bacon. Now what?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Callisto in NC

Washing Up
I tried a Paula Dean recipe for brown sugar bacon and it's like candy. It's sticky and gooey and actually pulled out a filling (one that had been out before and was only held on with temp bond). Now what do I do with it? Should I just toss it? Can I put it in a salad with balsalmic vinegar like I had planned? It tastes good, it's just sticky, really sticky.

I tried a Paula Dean recipe for brown sugar bacon and it's like candy. It's sticky and gooey and actually pulled out a filling (one that had been out before and was only held on with temp bond). Now what do I do with it? Should I just toss it? Can I put it in a salad with balsalmic vinegar like I had planned? It tastes good, it's just sticky, really sticky.
how about putting it in baked beans? that should soften the bacon up. i put brown sugar and bacon in my baked beans. i hate throwing food away.

I found a bottle of Balsalmic dressing and it seems to have helped. I guess the vinegar in the dressing helps cut the goo. I wanted it for the salad so I might be okay. Just have to be careful with my filling and chew on the other side :LOL:

I saw her making sausage slices in syrup the other day. Her stuff is too gooey for me - too much butter, cream cheese, mayo, etc. I like the taste of food without all the add-ons.

Sausage with syrup, my daughter would love that :LOL: She actually dips her sausage in syrup at restaurants. I wanted the brown sugar bacon for the sweetness to add to the saltiness of the balsalmic and feta. Next time I'll definitely cut the amount of sugar by half.

I have done this with pork sausage and maple syrup. It adds a nice glaze and doesn't overpower. It goes great for pigs in a blanket.

we call it pig candy--1lob of thick sliced bacon with a lb of brown sugar pressed on--then in a smoker until the bacon is done---a buck a piece when we vend it at festivals
just don't let it get overdone!
buzz

I agree with the idea of putting them in baked beans, or even chili. I bet the flavor is just amazing!

I would have tried baking it in warm oven to dry it out...really turn it to candy.. 180degrees on a rack.. let it dry... hmmm.. might be good!!!

Heck.. maple with sausage. Our local gas station has sandwiches with sausage patties on a maple flavored biscuit for a breakfast sandwich. It's pretty tasty..

we call it pig candy--1lob of thick sliced bacon with a lb of brown sugar pressed on--then in a smoker until the bacon is done---a buck a piece when we vend it at festivals
just don't let it get overdone!
buzz

Buzz, How much is a lob of bacon and how long does it smoke or how do you know when it is done? Do you sell a full slice or a 1/2 slice for a buck?
It sounds divine but I am a novice at smoking. Help is appreciated.

Thanks!

Buzz, How much is a lob of bacon and how long does it smoke or how do you know when it is done? Do you sell a full slice or a 1/2 slice for a buck?
It sounds divine but I am a novice at smoking. Help is appreciated.

Thanks!

A lob is fat finger typing for lb(pound)--usually about 16-20 slices per/lb--rubbed heavily with brown sugar with some cayenne--cooked on racks in disposable pans(kinda messy)--sm0kers are usually running about 250° so takes about an hour or so--don't burn the product. Looking back at notes see that we usually buy the thick sliced bacon, mix brown sugar with cayenne--about 1t of pepper/ cup of sugar--that will do 1lb bacon--and it is a buck/slice--been suggested that chocolate should be drizzled on the bacon but haven"t tried that yet
hope that helps

Wow. I thought everybody dipped their bacon/ham/sausage in maple syrup. I'm 53 years young and have been doing it since I was old enough to eat solid food.:LOL:

And I've been adding maple syrup to my home made breakfast sausage for years.

I need to make another thread about maple syrup.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

i used to buy the maple cured bacon and maple flavored breakfast sausage but my family isn't that keen on it.

BUT i would love your recipe for homemade breakfast sausage. i usually buy the kind that isn't to spicey Lipari (sp) brand or there is another brand i can't remember the name. it is a mild sausage that agrees with my tummy.

Purrrr-fect

A lob is fat finger typing for lb(pound)--usually about 16-20 slices per/lb--rubbed heavily with brown sugar with some cayenne--cooked on racks in disposable pans(kinda messy)--sm0kers are usually running about 250° so takes about an hour or so--don't burn the product. Looking back at notes see that we usually buy the thick sliced bacon, mix brown sugar with cayenne--about 1t of pepper/ cup of sugar--that will do 1lb bacon--and it is a buck/slice--been suggested that chocolate should be drizzled on the bacon but haven"t tried that yet
hope that helps

Just what I needed. Thanks for the help.

Back
Top Bottom