Sub for Eggs as Binder in Salmon Cakes?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Often times there is a thin line between a binder and a filler...You might try mayo -- homemade is less noticeable -- Mustard --- Mashed Potato --- Pureed potato --- Sour Cream --- Crushed, (In a food processor) Ritz Crackers...Only enough of any of them, or a combination to bind the cakes together....After forming refrigerate for 15-20 minutes before cooking....HTH

Or a thick white sauce... (melt 3 tablespoons butter; add 3 tablespoons flour; mix to smooth paste; gradually add 1 cup of milk; cook and stir until the mixture reaches boiling point, and let it cool down).

I make shrimp cakes that use only cooked beans.

If you have a can of cannellini beans I would take a few and mash them thoroughly and add to the salmon. Chill thoroughly, I put the shrimp cakes in the freezer for about 30 minutes. They are very fragile with the beans so be careful turning them over in the pan. Give yourself plenty of room.

If you have any flax seeds, a tbs of ground flax seed and 2 tbs of water will substitute for an egg.

I used a bit of horseradish mustard and the crackers. They came out good. I did have to be gentle with them though. Thanks much for all the ideas!

Salmon patties without a binder fall apart too easily. You might try a little bit of flour (not too much) in 1/4 cuo of water to make a sticky binder and then add a little horseradish mustard for flavor. Gently dip in crackers than bake or fry. The flour taste normally cooks out in a minute or two.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom