TNT pulled pork gone bad

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

legend_018

Head Chef
TNT pulled pork gone bad here. Help?
original recipe was like an 9lb pork. suppose to go into 225 oven until it reaches 200 degrees and than oven shut off until it goes down to 170.
average time for this was like 10/13 hours

HERE is me. In a 225 oven from noon until 9pm yesterday. ONLY a 4 pounder. Took it out last night as it was too late and started again at 6am. its now 1:15pm. wont go higher than 170????? The rate that its going I'm either NEVERR going to see 200 or it will take 3 days.

There always seems to be a stall in the temperature rise around 170F. Leave it alone and it will pass in an hour or two.

My understanding is that at 170F, the collagen and connective tissues dissolve and liquify causing the temperature stall. Sounds good.

The original tnt recipe said to resist the urge to turn it up. but the original recipe was like a 9 pounder and mine is only 4. I've already surpassed the average 13 hours. weird.

i am hoping to have these pulled pork sandwiches tonight maybe (?). mine was a pork butt and the recipe called for a pork shoulder with half bone. butcher said the pork butt they gave me should be fine.

The fact that you stopped the cooking overnight and restarted it today will add a lot to the cooking time.

BTW, I usually cook two full Boston butts at once (7-9 pounds each). If I'm going to go through all the work of rubbing and roasting for 12-14 hours, I'm gonna get my money's worth. The extra freezes very well. I pull it all and package it in 4 ounce portions and freeze it. A couple of minutes in the microwave and I have a pulled pork sandwich for lunch.

as a side note, you wouldn''t happen to know how many calories are in the 4oz of pulled pork you put in the baggies. mine has a general rub on it too. the possibility of having this tonight is slim you think?

According to my calculations from when I was serious about losing weight, it's about 100 calories an ounce. That's just the cooked meat, not any BBQ sauce you might use.

great thanks. I dont know if we are using bbq sauce. the rub made I was told was suppose to be good enuf. we'll see. DH will probably use the bbq sauce I'm sure. the rub does have brown sugar in it.

There always seems to be a stall in the temperature rise around 170F. Leave it alone and it will pass in an hour or two.

My understanding is that at 170F, the collagen and connective tissues dissolve and liquify causing the temperature stall. Sounds good.

Andy right it's just stalling :pig:

Back
Top Bottom