Hello from forum n00b

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

freefallin1309

Senior Cook
Hello all,

I'm new to the site and thought I'd say hey. My wife is already a member here, Chefkathleen. She just reminded me about the site today, so I thought I'd join.

A little about me, I'm a Land Surveyor by trade. We're originally from Ohio, but moved to Florida in '91 and stayed there (minus my time on the USMC) until last February (17 years!). Then the market dried up in Florida and I followed what looked like a good job lead in the Dallas/Ft. Worth area and have been held here against our will for over a year. I say that because we both hate this area and can't wait to get back home to Fl, as soon as I can get a good job down there again and we're not under a lease obligation here.

Looking forward to culinary delights!

Hello from Florida. Been to Dallas / Ft. Worth and completely agree with you. Now get back here neighbor. Welcome to DC

Thanks! I see too you're from a neighboring county. We lived in Polk, just south of Lakeland in Winter Haven. Polk may be one of the worst places in Florida to live, but it was certainly better than the Metroplex area in Tx. We've also found here, that no one has any taste buds ... they make chicken fried steak with a white sauce (not a brown like true southerners do) that is the most bland gravy you could ever taste ... and they get reviewed in the papers as being the best in town! Incredible. We spent about 8+ months trying the "Chinese" restaurants here in the area before finding 1 that had decent home made lo mein noodles or any good food at all ... we were begining to think there were real no Chinese in the area. And for being a state known for it's beef ... we went through several steak houses before finding something that didn't taste like it had been dragged through a pile of manure before being served. We finally hit a chain in desperation and found the best around ... Texas Roadhouse ... it was excellent, and you get to choose your steaks (they need to get rid of the cinnamon butter for your bread though). Another decent steak house is an anomaly called Hoffbrau ... and they serve excellent imported German beer during Oktoberfest too! There are far too many bad culinary experiences to be had around here, I can't wait to get back to some for of normality :) Average is better than what this area has to offer :)

Thanks! I see too you're from a neighboring county. We lived in Polk, just south of Lakeland in Winter Haven. Polk may be one of the worst places in Florida to live, but it was certainly better than the Metroplex area in Tx. We've also found here, that no one has any taste buds ... they make chicken fried steak with a white sauce (not a brown like true southerners do) that is the most bland gravy you could ever taste ... and they get reviewed in the papers as being the best in town! Incredible. We spent about 8+ months trying the "Chinese" restaurants here in the area before finding 1 that had decent home made lo mein noodles or any good food at all ... we were begining to think there were real no Chinese in the area. And for being a state known for it's beef ... we went through several steak houses before finding something that didn't taste like it had been dragged through a pile of manure before being served. We finally hit a chain in desperation and found the best around ... Texas Roadhouse ... it was excellent, and you get to choose your steaks (they need to get rid of the cinnamon butter for your bread though). Another decent steak house is an anomaly called Hoffbrau ... and they serve excellent imported German beer during Oktoberfest too! There are far too many bad culinary experiences to be had around here, I can't wait to get back to some for of normality :) Average is better than what this area has to offer :)

Back in 2006 I spent 5 days in DFW hanging out with friends at the American Paint Horse World Show and ate at Hoffbrau 2 or 3 times. Loved it. It was the first time I ever had fried dill pickles too. Those are awesome.

Welcome freefallin

Back in 2006 I spent 5 days in DFW hanging out with friends at the American Paint Horse World Show and ate at Hoffbrau 2 or 3 times. Loved it. It was the first time I ever had fried dill pickles too. Those are awesome.

I absolutely love Hoffbrau's lemon/butter sauce that they serve on their steaks.

Back
Top Bottom