Kicked Up Breakfast Foods

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chief Longwind Of The North

Certified/Certifiable
Ok, we now have the favorite hot dogs & how to cook 'em. We have the closet smacks that we love but don't eat in posh gatherings. So now, How about some traditional breadfast foods made gourmet? For instance, how do you make your french toast better than everyone else's? Why are your poached eggs the best in town? What amkes your hash browns special? Get the idea? I'll start with my secret for french toast.

First, I may be wrong, but a good breakfast sausage with pronounced accents of sage, salt, and pepper is a must with pancakes, waffles, and french toast. Am I right? And so, when I'm hankering some french toast, but have no sausage on hand, I build the flavor into the french toast, and drizzle those babies with grade-B maple syrup (the best you can get). The syrup flavor is strong and can overpower a delicate french toast. So here's how I kick up this recipe to work with the bold syrup.

2 large chicken eggs
1/2 cup milk
1/2 tsp salt
2 tbs. sweetener (I use Splenda, but you can use sugar if you want)
1 tsp. vanilla
1 tsp. ground cinamon

Now all of these ingredients make a very good french toast without adding anything else. But I'm adding a bit more flavor, as you'll see in the next ingredients.

1/8 tsp. Cyenne Pepper
1/4 tsp. salt
1 tsp. coarse-grind black pepper
1/2 tsp. rubbed sage

Whisk it all together until its smooth. Dredge the bread in the egg mixture, both sides. Cook over medium heat u ntil golden brown and cooked through on both sides. Serve with rich maple syrup.

Now if you want to take it still further, cook one side of two slices of french toast. Flip one piece and top the cooked side with Velveeta or a good Muentster, or Swiss cheese. Put the cooked side of the other slice on top, and finish like a grilled cheese sandwich. Again, serve with a good covering of maple syrup. This may not be one of the fanciest breakfasts I've ever made, but it has amazing flavor. It's hearty, and wakes you up for the day.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom