How do you make the everyday extraordinary?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

danpeikes

Senior Cook
I am looking for some new ideas to jazz things up. How do you make regular ingredients special or diffrent? I have full spike rack access to most types of produce. I am kosher so no pork, shellfish, or mixing milk and meat.

It may have nothing to do with your ingredients. When Buck was still here, I used to perk up our meals with some new/different china or glassware or I'd add a single blossom in a vase at each plate. Sometimes, even when we had hot dogs, I served them on our best china on a cloth-covered table with candlelight and silver. I even used balloons a few times, just for whimsy. Worked especially well when the weather was crappy or we were in a down mood.

dry white wine with chicken to make a pan sauce, red wine with beef (pot roast or brisket with onions carrots and dry red wine with broth...yum!) tarragon with chicken, thyme with beef, oregano or basil with tomato.

try different grains...couscous, Israeli couscous, bulgar wheat, rice, brown rice, different potatoes like fingerling or baby reds .... roast along with a chicken in the botton of the pan getting all the drippings...very French and very yummy.

all kinds of simple tasty ways to make a meal a feast! enjoy the journey of discovery.

I like doing stuffed chicken breast. Anybody have an interesting filling? No dairy please.

Are you asking for recipes are how to make everyday extraordinary? Recipes are one thing, but, to me what you are asking about is basically presentation and serving ideas. I like different dinner plates of different colors. Bowls of different colors, candles, flowers, unusual wine glasses, etc. Make a picnic in your livingroom. Throw down a blanket, turn on the music, and eat fingerfood only.

In scrolling down I see Katie is on the same page :chef:

Are you asking for recipes are how to make everyday extraordinary? Recipes are one thing, but, to me what you are asking about is basically presentation and serving ideas. I like different dinner plates of different colors. Bowls of different colors, candles, flowers, unusual wine glasses, etc. Make a picnic in your livingroom. Throw down a blanket, turn on the music, and eat fingerfood only.

In scrolling down I see Katie is on the same page :chef:
Looking for more like twists on dishes to make them special.

If you like bleu cheese crumbles I love to make a salad using a basic red wine vinaigrette. On top of the salad slice some pears and crumbled bleu cheese, along with some blueberries. Very refreshing.

Again a salad, but slice some strawberries, red onion, and goat cheese, mint leaves (I usually use blueberries in this too) and make a Chardonnay vinaigrette to top it with. That's actual Chardonnay (unoaked), not Chardonnay vinegar.

For a steak find some Hickory smoked pepper. Small thing but wow, is it good!

You've kind of asked a really hard question. One person's "special way" could be standard for another person.

When you make meatloaf replace some of the ground beef with a mixture of pork and veal (just veal for you). Instead of making the usual ketchup topper make a portobella mushroom cream gravy.

Instead of basic spaghetti and meatballs make HUGE soft-ball size meatballs. I use a mixture of beef and pork, but you could probably use veal instead.

The hard part with the above two is I actually use milk in my mixture because that makes it extremely moist. Not sure what non-dairy will give it more moisture.

Hard question...good question, just hard.

Roast fresh vegetables. Use purple potatoes instead of standard white...or yukon golds are good too!

I like to roast a bunch of different veggies and toss them with pasta, heat, add a bit more olive oil to moisten.

Last edited:
I like doing stuffed chicken breast. Anybody have an interesting filling? No dairy please.
Do a mushroom filling, I've chopped mushrooms that I've sauteed with some finely chopped or grated onion and garlic,add some parsley and a few buttered bread crumbs,make a reduced gravy of butter and white wine or Marsala and a little lemon pour over your chicken. If finishing your chicken in the oven,cover with foil and I'd wait and drizzle it with the gravy the last 20 minutes of cooking.
kadesma

Last edited:
Meet various people of different cultures every day. Broadens your friend circle and you knowledge. You can learn different types of dishes from different people.

Back
Top Bottom