Last Cake Standing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LPBeier

Certified Cake Maniac
Moderator Emeritus
Did anyone see the first installment of this Food Network Challenge? It was on here on Sunday.

I don't think I have missed many episodes of Challenge over the years, specially the ones to do with cakes and other edible structures. I have found that the recent challenges have gotten really difficult - too many curves thrown at the chefs.

But I never dreamed they would get so desperate as to resort to survivor tactics. They started with 6 top chefs (three were undefeated and the others were previous winners). They first took away their 2 hour prep time and started the clock immediately. Then, at the end after the winner was given immunity and sent back stage, they told the remaining five that the judges would not be picking the one to go home, they would. And it wasn't secret ballot either.

I have purposely not mentioned any names so I don't give it away for anyone who wants to see it, but I am just wondering if they are running out of ideas maybe they should stop producing the show rather than making it so hard on the competitors. These are professional pastry chefs and cake decorators. I know all too well how much pressure is on you when you have to make a perfect cake in crunch time. But to add the fact that not only might you not win but your peers may "vote you off the island" is pretty tough to take. They want to win, but at the same time these are their colleagues and they were all holding back tears as they said their choice. Yes, maybe they (and I) should have expected it on elimination style show, but it isn't something they are used to or were prepared for.

I will watch it to the end, but if the series doesn't improve, I will strike it from the top of my very short favourites list.

Last edited:
Where I live they will be showing the last episode Sunday. I was really disappointed with how the second challenge ended. I won't spoil it for you all, but I don't understand how they came to their decision.

I was pretty disappointed with the FN for that one. These people compete with each other all the time and when you turn them against each other like that...it's just in poor taste I think. It's the kind of ratings baiting like that, that will make me not watch the show. I got really sick of Top Chef on Bravo because off all the bad language and catty behavior. When they made the Chefs say WHY they were voting off a certain cake too...man that just really rubbed me the wrong way. I haven't watched the other episodes of last cake standing and I wont watch the last either.

I'm not a baker, just a mom who tries to make my family happy..I enjoy the show, but I find the judges know it all's. Yes they are talented and know what they are doing, but the high and mighty attitude leaves me cold. You can judge without being nasty and rude..Since they all know each other, I'm sure a lot I don't care for so and so comes into play, also we all have ideas on how we would like a cake to look...If you try to do something special that you are good at and the judges have seen it..Don't blink or you will miss the door on your way out!
kadesma

I was unhappy with the judging of all three episodes so far. Based on the comments, it would seem obvious that the winner would be someone else in several cases.

Hopefully the best person will win in the end. We will find out Sunday night.

Back
Top Bottom