Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums

Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums (http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/)
-   Today's Menu (http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f104/)
-   -   What's the strangest thing you've ever eaten? (http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f104/whats-the-strangest-thing-youve-ever-eaten-57202.html)

chefkathleen 04-23-2009 04:49 PM

What's the strangest thing you've ever eaten?

As I've said before my DH was in the Marines. He had a leave and I flew over to SE Asia to spend some time with him. He knows my motto, try everything at least once. So as he had been exploring the culture, he said that he wanted me to try Balut. Of course I said yes. I will never eat it again, I'm glad I tried it but, never again. It's a nearly developed duck egg that's been boiled. Being a Marine, he can eat bugs and not bat an eye. My eyes batted a lot that day.
What's the weirdest/strangest things you've ate?

msmofet 04-23-2009 04:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chefkathleen (Post 816101)
As I've said before my DH was in the Marines. He had a leave and I flew over to SE Asia to spend some time with him. He knows my motto, try everything at least once. So as he had been exploring the culture, he said that he wanted me to try Balut. Of course I said yes. I will never eat it again, I'm glad I tried it but, never again. It's a nearly developed duck egg that's been boiled. Being a Marine, he can eat bugs and not bat an eye. My eyes batted a lot that day.
What's the weirdest/strangest things you've ate?

thank you for that laugh. i need to think on this a bit.

luvs 04-23-2009 05:12 PM

nothing too neat around here, okay-coolness factor- i've eaten alligator & frog in fla, though. love beef tongue sammiches, raw or nearly raw foods, (sashimi & pittsburgh-rare steaks, other seafood/shellfish), & i adore escargot. readily available nearby.

chefkathleen 04-23-2009 06:06 PM

we had gator, rattlesnake and armadillo when we lived in Fl. but never beef tongue! LOL. Had frog legs in Mi and fried squirrel and other game in Ohio. And yet I won't eat yogurt!:lol:

luvs 04-23-2009 06:19 PM

yogurt? hm..... i say it's a love/hate item. like buttermilk. i tried possum before without being notified & i loved it!

freefallin1309 04-23-2009 06:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chefkathleen (Post 816153)
we had gator, rattlesnake and armadillo when we lived in Fl. but never beef tongue! LOL. Had frog legs in Mi and fried squirrel and other game in Ohio. And yet I won't eat yogurt!:lol:

Dont forget the possum too :smile: Allen's Cafe ... and raccoon ...

msmofet 04-23-2009 06:28 PM

beef tongue, eel, rabbit, squirrel, pickled pigs feet

chefkathleen 04-23-2009 06:33 PM

That's right! There was the coolest one of a kind cafe in Auburndale Florida that had all kinds of weird food like that to eat. And a sweet old cracker that ran/owned it until he died. All the antiques and collectables that were in it are long gone. It was one of those places that you walked around looking at the decor while waiting on your food. Fried catfish served in cast iron skillets, sweet tea served in Mason jars. What a hoot!
And just plain old southern cookin.

chefkathleen 04-23-2009 06:39 PM

I've never had eel or pigs feet. How are they?

Cooksie 04-23-2009 06:43 PM

:ohmy: calf brains and eggs :ohmy:

I am a pretty adventurous eater and will try just about anything once!

pickled pigs feet
pickled eggs
squirrel
frog legs so fresh that they twitched when you threw them on the grill :lol:
gator
oxtails
never tried tongue though