Help with rolled spinach recipe

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jerseyjay14

Senior Cook
I want to make a rolled spinach appetizer. i had it at a Japanese restaurant. i could not find a recipe anywhere. it was a crabmeat mixture rolled in a spinach leaf like a sushi maki roll , sliced, and topped with salmon roe.... it looked just like this:

u11957492.jpg

I havent had much success with leafy rolled stuff in the past so any help would be greatly appreciated. im not sure what was in the crabmeat mixture, maybe just crab and bread crumbs... it wasnt cheesy but very savory.

i assume i just make the crab mixture, roll it, cook it and slice it.... but how do i keep it from falling apart? after i roll it does it go into a pan with oil? they had such a perfect cylindrical shape.

help! :chef:

My guess is that you should steam them. They should be packed tightly together in the pan so they will hold their shape. I'm curious to see what other tips you may be given.

I would guess you steam the spinach and then roll it using a sushi rolling mat - they have them at most kitchen stores. That's how they would get them so tight. You don't mention if they were warm/cold/room temperature, but with the salmon roe I would guess they were served cold, so cook everything before and chill it, then you can roll it all up with a sushi mat. With sushi, it helps to dip your knife (use the sharpest one you have!) in water between each cut so you don't smoosh the rolls.

Is the crab mixture sirimi? Or is it all crab? Other than the spinach leaves, is there a need to cook these?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom