Scallions in a windowbox?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

luvs

Master Chef
could i grow them in an indoor windowbox? i love scallions with salt on them plain & fresh from a garden!

I can't imagine why it wouldn't work - it's no different than growing anything else in a windowbox. Open your window, pull, wash, salt, eat...:chef:

Scallions are like weeds. They are easy to grow and hard to get rid of. I think they would do great in a window box.

Just a suggestion: You get a lot of baby onions in onion sets, so I'd suggest planting them maybe 10-15 each week for several weeks. That way, they won't all be ready at the same time.

DH planted most of an onion set several months ago, and now they're all bigger than scallion or green onion-size, but not as big as full-size onions. They're about the size of 3-4 scallions. They still work fine, and DH likes them raw, so he'll eat what I don't need for a recipe (I can't stand raw onions), so they don't go to waste. Just thought I'd mention it.

Like everyone else, I don't see any reason they wouldn't work. I'd buy red onion "sets" (i.e., tiny little onions that will shorten the time to maturity, seeds take forever). They add a little color and personality to your salads. Another onion that's surprisingly easy to grow is shallots. But the scallions don't take much depth of soil so should do well. Oh, if you want to stagger the growth as GotGarlic suggests, put the extra "sets" in a loose bag in the crisper drawer of your fridge and plant them every week or two.

Back
Top Bottom