Canning Tomatoes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MNTaxi

Cook
I am getting ready to go buy a bunch of tomato plants but I am wondering what kind to get. I would like to can most of them. Mostly for sauces and stew. Not sure what kind to buy. Their are a ton of difffernt kinds. So far I have a couple Roma Tomato starts. I have heard that they are good for sauces.

Any feed back would be appreciated.

Roma are good for sauce and canning, but you will

need more than 2 plants. While 2 plants may produce enough tomatoes for you in a whole season you need to have enough ripe at one time for a batch big enough to can. Depending on your growing conditions I would suggest 6 to 12 roma plants. I also plant a tomato variety called Heinz.
They are a medium size tomato. Good for eating, freezing, and canning.
This is the variety that my Father grew for years. I saved seeds from last year and they are growing now. I would not suggest a large size tomato like Beefsteak for canning or any of the sweet varieties. Try to find a higher acid tomato. I am planting a dozen of the Heinz, and will buy 12 Roma, give 4 away and plant 8. That is all I have room for or I would plant more. I would like to be able to can enough to last me 2 years.
That way I could rotate crops better but I do what I can.

We have 6 plants ... 2 early girl, 2 beefsteak and 2 of another line that I can't remember (it's like "Aha" or "Glory" or something). We ate ourselves sick on them in the fall and I had enough to can 24+ quart jars. I gave up on the Roma's a few years ago because I just couldn't get them to ripen well.

I would suggest you contact your local horticulturist/garden center to see what varieties are best suited to your growing area....Plant plenty...A dozen or more...Some years yields are low (my minimum is 50 plants) This assures me enough to gorge on, and plenty to can, make juice etc. In years when a bumper crop is made you can also make a lot of friends:) Do try to can a few quarts of juice...If you've never had a Bloody Mary made from home canned tomato juice.....Wow!! There is no comparison!!!

Luck and Fun!

IMO, Roma's are the best for canning. They are meaty, with few seeds, and a prolific producer. Some years, when we've had bad weather, the Romas were the only ones that did any good.
When I was doing a lot of canning, I'd put out 100 Romas. That would be way too many for the average person though...Uncle Bob's 50 is much more reasonable.
Don't forget to put out a few plants for slicing...my favorite slicer is Big Beef, but there are many other good ones...Brandywine, Supersonic, and Georgia Streak are three more of my personal favorites.

I do wonder about the safety of home canning - one must be very careful about sanitizing all equipment. Seems so much easier to buy canned products ready made. I would use fresh produce for cooking only.

I do wonder about the safety of home canning - one must be very careful about sanitizing all equipment. Seems so much easier to buy canned products ready made. I would use fresh produce for cooking only.

The vast majority of people who do home canning are well schooled/versed about the safe handling practices of home canning. I am far more concerned about contaminants (rodent hair, fly fecal material, etc,)found in "ready made" products than home canned items where I KNOW what goes in the jar.

Enjoy!!!

Seems so much easier to buy canned products ready made. I would use fresh produce for cooking only.

True. You live in modern times where you are close to grocery and other stores and have transportation technology to bring fresh food in from all parts of the world. Canning was a necessity in early days when such was not available, but it is becoming more popular because it is cheaper and you can eliminate all the salt and preservatives in the foods. I especially love making my own condiments and known that it has less salt and sugars and no preservatives.

I agree with mcnerd. I enjoy doing it because I can grow a garden and it's cheaper than buying it from the store. Plus I have control of salt and sugar added that doesn't need to be. With a husband with high blood pressure. . . . .

Plus the home canned tomatoes just taste so much

better than the ones from the store. Every single one that I can is RIPE.
That does not happen with store bought ones.

Some people just LIKE doing things themselves. Easy isn't part of the equasion..... take the time to learn and it will be done right.

Some people just LIKE doing things themselves. Easy isn't part of the equasion..... take the time to learn and it will be done right.

I agree Suziquzie, I don't can necessarily out of necessity but rather for the enjoyment and satisfaction of the accomplishment. Does it save us money? Yes - alot but that wasn't the inspiration. I have fond memories of my mom and grandmother in the kitchen canning fruit and veggies and can "feel" my grandma with me now when I do it.

I think people trying canning for the first time who might be nervous or who have not had previous exposure should find a buddy. There are probably people at your church or local haunt who can and who would come and help you the first few times - especially if you offer some of the bounty to them! You can't rush canning so patience is a must but savor (no pun intended) the time with the food YOU grew.

If one truly wants to learn the safety issues and other aspects of preserving food, there is a *free* online study course on the subject offered by the Univ. of Georgia Extension through the National Center for Home Food Preservation.

National Center for Home Food Preservation

Scroll down on the home page until you find the reference to it. It only has 4 sections and you get a certificate of completion when successfully completed. If you feel you know it all....good....because the course gives you the actual quiz for each section before you start so you can confirm your knowledge level or how much you need to pay attention through the course section. :chef: It is worth it.

When canning tomatoes is it possible to use 2 different varieties?
I planted Early Girl and Roma's.

Thanks,

Munky.

I've been canning tomatoes the same way for 60 years and have not died from it yet. As near as I can figure it takes 12 hours per bushel by the time I peel, cut, cook and seal the last jar. It does not take into account all the dipping, washing and sanitizing, or the clean up so I can start the next bushel tomorow. When I am finished and all the lids have "popped" I have enough quarts for almost a full year. Those that don't pop have to be re-cooked and re-canned with new lids. It's easy. I jest ain't quick,

No offense, but indicating you have been canning the same way for 60 years is not a positive thing since canning rules and procedures took a big change in the 90's. General procedures and recipes done prior to then are considered unsafe and even dangerous. Anybody can do what they want of course, but most people learning something new would like to be up to date and do things as safe as possible, especially if the results are shared with family and friends.

I am aware

I am also aware of overkill and scare tactics. When I can, I depend upon proper heat, proper cooking and proper sanitation. I know how to provide it, but I do not know if any one else does. I know seven generations that have used the same technique and no died from it. Neither did their friends nor my great-grandson. . I don't serve Botulism or Salmonella at my house or in my food. .

I grow my own too and a tomatoes tastes like a tomatoes ,when buying them from a store its shell is nice perfect,but the taste is YUK.

I have been buying canned tomatoes because they are actually very nutritious and have a great flavor. If you buy Red Gold brand tomatoes they are picked and canned in less then 24 hours so all the nutritents are still in the product. They are also 100% Natural. Every try using canned tomatoes like fresh. Just drain and rinse the tomatoes and you then have little pieces of tomatoes to use in salads and pizza. They have also done all the work for you, peeled and diced them ready to use.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom