Limburger cheese

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

oldrustycars

Senior Cook
I thought I would try limburger cheese. On cocktail rye, and with a nice cold Blatz to wash it down.
First, a little about me. I drive a truck, and often haul garbage to landfills and transfer stations. I've had every automotive chemical and fluid in my face at some point. I've changed cat boxes 1000's of times. I have three children and changed millions of diapers. None of those smells bothered me. But limburger? I couldn't stand it. It smelled up the car for a week. I ate a little, the taste was OK, but just not worth the smell.
Oh well, nothing ventured, nothing gained.

I tried limburger once when i started working, but the strangest was that one of the cooks could'nt get enough of that stuff.

My mom loved it and would eat it with crackers..I grew to enjoy it now and then..The smell for some is really strong and offensive, like dirty old socks:LOL: But then we all have our things we like and others hate...I like it with a good liverwurst and rye bread,
kadesma

My father loved the stuff, but Mom would only allow it in the house once a year it smelled that bad! I would bring him a package of the stuff on his birthday and we'd spend the next two weeks airing the house out. That is some pretty potent cheese (with an aquired taste, I couldn't stomach it). Don't know if he still gets it or not, I know Mom is glad he doesn't get it that much anymore.

You Limburger bashers should give Taleggio a try :)
Taleggio
is a semi-soft, washed-rind cheese from the Valtaleggio region in northern Italy, near Lombardy. It is characteristically aromatic yet mild in flavor and features tangy, meaty notes with a fruity finish. The texture of the cheese is moist-to-oozy with a very pleasant melt-in-your-mouth feel. The combination of the soft texture, pungent aroma, and buttery flavors has proven to be addictive especially when spread on fresh crusty bread. Taleggio pairs nicely with Italian Nebbiolo wines, as well as a wide range of reds and whites.
moz-screenshot-8.jpg
10838.jpg

Living in Limburger Land, I have to say there are a couple of other cheeses around here that I can't get past my nose. And I'm a pretty good foodie. There is one called schmier---something, and of all things Bierkasse. The latter I should like. Husband and I bought it thinking (we each learned a year or so of German as kids), beer and cheese. It has to be good, right? Wrong. I don't draw the line very often, but if picking up my geriatric puppy's mistakes smells better than the cheese, well, not going to happen.

When my BIL got married, his groomsmen (my dh included) put limburger under the hood of his car. It was HORRIBLE!! They all chipped in to have the car cleaned, but it was months before he could drive with the windows up. I'm SO happy we got married first, paybacks are he**!!

Back
Top Bottom